Ross B Reef'n 170 Gallon & Fishroom Megabuild

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I've plumbed the piping at the pump to go above the max water level of the water reservoir, the outlet is lower than the minimum water level. Without a air break, it creates a full siphon. I believe this will only be an issue for the reservoir stacked on top. The compounded issue is that the ceiling is lower than the max head height + max water level (which is a worse case scenario than initially though).

As of right now, I've thought a vacuum break mechanism to solve this issue. I'll post a sketch as time allows.

Gotcha; that'll do it. Vacuum break would likely be the easiest to apply.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now, this is my plan:

(Overview sketch)
20190726_094136.jpg

(Vacuum breaker)
20190726_094145.jpg

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. 250-feet of wiring... Just like the Boeing Max airliner...
LoL, This is your captain speaking, we're going to need at least another 100ft to get this bird off the ground, and butt end splices are your friend. Remaining equipment has also been approved for ordering. Thank you, enjoy your flight. :cool:

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only 2 places I know where there are cable raceways are the datacenter at my work, and now your fish room. Incredible! Love it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only 2 places I know where there are cable raceways are the datacenter at my work, and now your fish room. Incredible! Love it.
The planning and organization that data centers take is astonishing. Awesome that you get to see that as part of your job!

Last edited:

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The planning and organization that data centers take is astonishing. Awesome that you get to see that as part of your job!

Quite honestly the thought and organization that's gone into your build is equally as astonishing and I've been enjoying a lot of your photos, even though I don't always click to indicate so.

This forum is a great source of inspiration for my setup and probably a few other people out there as well. Can't wait to see it once it's all finished!

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite honestly the thought and organization that's gone into your build is equally as astonishing and I've been enjoying a lot of your photos, even though I don't always click to indicate so.

This forum is a great source of inspiration for my setup and probably a few other people out there as well. Can't wait to see it once it's all finished!

Thank you for the very kind words, very humbling to hear all my hard work is an inspiration to others.

Beside the tank size being limited by the space it's in, this is my dream build. I don't normally share my projects with anyone, or have social media, but I've been compelled to share this one, and I'm glad I have.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, please give me a little slack for this one because I've never made anything out of acrylic.

I needed a place to put my 20" long, 300w, heaters. They wouldn't fit in the sump. I also didnt want them in the overflow tower because the bean animal siphon would allow water to go below the min water line if the return pumps stopped. So I built what basically amounts to a mini sump for the heaters. I went a little crazy with the acrylic glue, so there's glue steaks all over it. Could make it look 2x better if I had to do it again, but it works, it's partially hidden on the side of the stand

20190803_120217.jpg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back