rotating around rock in tank?

Tankalicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys rotate rock that was once dry around the tank and move to different sides to season or age them?

IMG_20211019_232339644_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Tankalicious

Tankalicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I feel the bottom will age just fine without being exposed to light.
But how long will that take and how clean would that be?

I am at 7 months, if I can get a full rock cured in 14 months why not?

I also get to clean the sand in those spots that get little to no sifting :)

Upvote 0

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it that makes you think rock "cures" faster when exposed to the light? I think your premise is just incorrect. If by cure you mean turn greenish/brow then by all means turn it. If by cure you mean colonized with bacteria then no need to turn your rocks.

If some areas have less access to oxygen that may impact the bacteria or type of bacteria that grows...but in that case turning it just kills off some while you "cure" others.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tankalicious

Tankalicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it that makes you think rock "cures" faster when exposed to the light? I think your premise is just incorrect. If by cure you mean turn greenish/brow then by all means turn it. If by cure you mean colonized with bacteria then no need to turn your rocks.

If some areas have less access to oxygen that may impact the bacteria or type of bacteria that grows...but in that case turning it just kills off some while you "cure" others.
I am more so thinking of when purchasing live rock from a lfs. It's not white on the bottom and usually contains alot of different life.

My thinking was by rotating them in a moderate flow area and getting algea, spiord worms and other various things growing on them they would become more efficient at filtering.

I can also remove them and clean cyno and vermented snails from rocks while I rotate them.

Upvote 0

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't moved my rocks in over 10 yrs, so I'm not sure of the question I started with only live rock. I do few times a week take a small pump and blow all the rocks and coral to clean them of any food or debris. The corals love it they extend their tentacles and the fish look for any food blown in the water. I also blow everywhere to clean out areas and let it clean out to the overflow.The only time I had ever moved a rock was when I entered a new fish.it helps with aggression of fish towards the new one being they are protecting their spaces.

Upvote 0

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, one thing I do is every base rock gets a smaller flat rock glued underneath of it so the footprint of the rock is very minimal touching the substrate.

This allows for very linear flow under the rock to carry debris away. I used to rotate until I took this approach. It makes for very cool nooks and overhangs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tankalicious

Tankalicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, one thing I do is every base rock gets a smaller flat rock glued underneath of it so the footprint of the rock is very minimal touching the substrate.

This allows for very linear flow under the rock to carry debris away. I used to rotate until I took this approach. It makes for very cool nooks and overhangs.

Thanks for the reply, that is a great idea! This is my first tank so I am just working through the learning curve and trying to figure out what others are up to.

I think I didn't give enough hiding places when I originally set my tank up, so as things age and I am getting corals I have been moving things around and rotating rocks to get them covered on all sides of biological material before I start gluing frags to them

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back