Rotifer Crash

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 2 weeks of "practice" with a culture of rotifers, I can't find a single one when I dip a clear cup in the water. But, I think my brine shrimp culture sitting right next to it has some in it.
Any way to verify this without a microscope? The green water in the bs is clearing up from RGcomplete like the rotifer water was. I have a set of sieves. What will be the best way to separate them out?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rudimenta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a microscope a kids one from a toy store is fine, I have a hard time spotting Rotifers without especially the small s strains we use. I bought a 30bucks kids microscope and it works perfect you need about 200x magnification, plus it's fun ;)

OP
OP
Bunnee911

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a microscope a kids one from a toy store is fine, I have a hard time spotting Rotifers without especially the small s strains we use. I bought a 30bucks kids microscope and it works perfect you need about 200x magnification, plus it's fun ;)

Did you mean 20x? The toy ones seem to go to 20x.

Rudimenta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No 200 to really see them (toy one I got goes to 800x but not usable) 40x you can see them easily but still small, you need about 200x to see the mouth ect

OP
OP
Bunnee911

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general manager said no to the microscope. I siened the roti culture and did an 80% water change. I siened the brine shrimp culture and divided it between the 2 buckets. Now without bbs. A cup of water today has a few white dots in it. Now, I wonder if it will restock.

Rudimenta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just takes one rotifer ;), you need to feed the culture and wait till the water starts clearing up and there starts to detritus on the bottom of the bucket before you harvest again (4-6 days depending on starting size). It also takes just one brine shrimp in your rotifer culture to destroy it be careful!

Keep your eye out those toy microscopes get discounted a lot! If your serious about breeding you'll need one eventually.

OP
OP
Bunnee911

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I shocked them with fresh water. I did not have a lid and the sg got pretty high. I have lids now and have then in 2g buckets. Two of them. I just can't handle 5g anymore. Youth is wasted on the young.

Rudimenta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that is small, you don't need to wait as many days than

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two 5 gallon buckets with filters from Reed Mariculture. Since the cultures can crash I thought I should have two but had them both crash anyway. I culture tiger pods & luckily contaminated it with rotifers. I have them doing great in fry tanks that no longer eat them. Basically I find them easy to culture except where I try to culture them.

Rudimenta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here use 2 x 5 gallon with the reed system only on one, somehow the other bucket does better, but could be many reasons

OP
OP
Bunnee911

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shipping from Reed is phenomenal. I thought i had contaminated my brine shrimp with rotifers. Such was not the case. Both 2g buckets are nearly sterile. The green colour has not changed in days. A clear glass of water is as empty as that pickle jar in the back of my ice box. Lol. So, I will start over.

OP
OP
Bunnee911

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two 5 gallon buckets with filters from Reed Mariculture. Since the cultures can crash I thought I should have two but had them both crash anyway. I culture tiger pods & luckily contaminated it with rotifers. I have them doing great in fry tanks that no longer eat them. Basically I find them easy to culture except where I try to culture them.

So, I killed my air plant. This may be a bad sign. Lol.

OP
OP
Bunnee911

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I took most of the water out of the old culture and now it is showing more rotifers. This is a combination of my old rotifer culture and my brine shrimp culture without the shrimps.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 39 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back