rotifer culture

ReeferMadness09

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 14, 2013
Messages
287
Reaction score
141
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have experience with using resting rotifer eggs to start a culture and how much you need to do it? Im debating using them instead of the typical live rotifers from a bottle.
 
Never tried that and wouldn't recommend it if you have other things like pod cultures where you don't want rotifers to get in as those resting stages are like fine dust and will get everywhere.
 
Contamination is a non issue as nothing else will be cultured. The idea of not having to maintain a culture when not needed but having rots on standby when you might is appealing.
 
I started my cultures with resting eggs/cysts from Florida Aqua Farms. Seemed to work fine - I got rotifers. I haven’t used anything else so I can’t compare them to starting with live ones.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new