Rotifer Culturing Question

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a breeding pair of clownfish, and I recently purchased all I need, I think, from Reef Nutrition to keep a rotifer culture going.
On the Reed Mariculture site, it says to harvest 20-30% of the rotifers daily, by volume...
My questions are:
1) Am I harvesting rotifers to keep the population young or to manage ammonia?
2) If I’m doing it to manage the population, do I need to change out the water if I’m harvesting to feed the Fry? (I have a zooplankton catcher)
3) I bought Reef Nutrition’s “Roti Clean” filter, and when i add the phyto, my water gets cleaned in 12-14 hours... Is it filtering too much and should i switch to a standpipe/just hang the rotifer floss?

Thanks in advance!

Pete Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Harvesting does both so remove a gallon and strain.

if your water is clean, is it frothy on top, or no froth but water is clear

OP
OP
DoctaReef

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water was frothy on top, when I turned the air stone off, it was clear with a yellowish tint.

Pete Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Normally that means they are multiplying, increased waste,

clear water they’ve eaten all the food

OP
OP
DoctaReef

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know, thank you,
One more question- how sensitive are they to water changes? I’m matching salinity, but you have to heat the water before adding it?

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know, thank you,
One more question- how sensitive are they to water changes? I’m matching salinity, but you have to heat the water before adding it?
I breed rotifers they can handle pretty big temp swings . As long as its room temp and not freezing it's fine . Harvest 1/3 a day to keep the population going . To high a density and it will kill the cultre out . Make sure to stir the bottom up as a-lot of unused phyto will settle on the bottom. You can also squeeze the filter a little to let some of the phyto out .

thomaskc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I breed rotifers they can handle pretty big temp swings . As long as its room temp and not freezing it's fine . Harvest 1/3 a day to keep the population going . To high a density and it will kill the cultre out . Make sure to stir the bottom up as a-lot of unused phyto will settle on the bottom. You can also squeeze the filter a little to let some of the phyto out .
Question for you:

In a basic 5 gallon culture how quickly should ammonia rise to high concentrations?
I swear my culture hits green/blue ammonia readings every evening and I change 50 percent of the water daily.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you:

In a basic 5 gallon culture how quickly should ammonia rise to high concentrations?
I swear my culture hits green/blue ammonia readings every evening and I change 50 percent of the water daily.
Never monitor it as I'm using a cycled sponge filter. Adding a beneficial bacteria to get your filter started will help. Plus water gets swapped when harvesting but I do a full water change every 2 weeks

Pete Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your feeding your own phyto correct, that may be your issue

I feed Roti Green Omega, it has an ammonia reducer in it. never had an ammonia issue, change 1 gal a day in a 5 gal bucket.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a breeding pair of clownfish, and I recently purchased all I need, I think, from Reef Nutrition to keep a rotifer culture going.
On the Reed Mariculture site, it says to harvest 20-30% of the rotifers daily, by volume...
My questions are:
1) Am I harvesting rotifers to keep the population young or to manage ammonia?
2) If I’m doing it to manage the population, do I need to change out the water if I’m harvesting to feed the Fry? (I have a zooplankton catcher)
3) I bought Reef Nutrition’s “Roti Clean” filter, and when i add the phyto, my water gets cleaned in 12-14 hours... Is it filtering too much and should i switch to a standpipe/just hang the rotifer floss?

Thanks in advance!
Sorry I missed this! Please reach out to us directly next time. Our technical staff would love to help you with any questions or issues you are having with our equipment and protocols. Our email is [email protected]. :)

1) Harvesting rotifers, daily, serves two purposes: keeping the population young and vigorous, as well as managing water quality.

2) Every time you harvest, you should be discarding the water and adding in new, clean saltwater.

3) The Roti-Clean filter is designed to export waste via the filter insert. Waste build-up in a rotifer culture is the number one reason they fail/crash. The water is cleaned by the filter of organic debris and dead rotifers. Also, the water is clearing up due to the rotifers eating the algae (they can eat a lot of algae in 24hours) and the filter removing the waste. While the filter also keeps the phyto, rotifers and debris suspended, we recommend you add in an open-ended rigid airline to oxygenate and create more turbulence. I also recommend that you scrub all surfaces every day after harvesting so that the organic waste can be in suspension for the filter to strip out.

What kind of algae are you feeding the culture? I can give you more advice on this thread, if you'd like.

Best,
Chad

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back