Rotifer Feeding Question

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,863
Reaction score
122,461
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got my live rotifers in and the bag was tinted green. Last night I acclimated them to my talk water, got the air bubbles going, and fed them. Today the water is still tinted green. Should this be? Should I feed? Are they dead? LOL!

Thanks.
 
More than likely they were packaged with phyto in order to keep them alive, rots gotta eat too! ;)

In other words, yes, they're fine to feed.
 
Well what I am saying is that the green is still there after feeding last night and I thought it would really lighten up a lot from the eating.
 
Take a sample of the water to a microscope and see if you can see any rotifers in the scope.Rots should/can be seen by the eye.I only have problems seeing the SS strain rots.So if you dont see an rots in the sample I would say you got used for money.If you dont mind telling me,where did you get them?
 
I dont think I got ripped. I got them from Reef Nutrition. I just may be paranoid. I dont have a microscope. LOL!
 
There is like something collected in the bottom that looks like detritus??
 
What are you culturing them in (container)?

Did you acclimate?

Most likely what you see is algal flock and rotifer poop. Do you see any grains of sand moving around? Take a clear glass and scope some out. Hold it up to the light, see movement?
 
I am pretty sure they are dead. The water is not even turning a lighter color anymore. :( I was keeping them in a 5g bucket. I did acclimate them slowly.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new