Rouge hippo tang!!!!

Droberts0724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new purple torch with yellow tips and added with my green torch to make a garden. I woke up this morning to find them shredded because all the sudden my hippo tang is biting the tentacles off!!! Just being a butthead any one elsee just have a rouge hippotang randomly start being aggressive and start destroying coral? HELP he eats like a pig to by the way....they get NORI often too and he isn't skinny....he is fat!

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a Blue Hippo out of my predator tank. No joke. They get crazy. 180g+. Different than you're scenario but I understand.

OP
OP
Droberts0724

Droberts0724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
getting a torch on Wednesday hope my angels or tangs don't go rogue and rip its tentacles off
Crazy thing is I have had that tang over 2 years and the torch for months....I'm so depressed over it as I really want a torch garden. I have hammer and spawn together too. My tank is a 125 gallon 6 feet long so he has space too. My vlamingi and yellow tang are good and he was too until this morning. I think he really had lost his mind...like Dori!

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a hippo tang for nearly 2 years that I've named "Boss Hog" for obvious reasons. It has grown from about 1.5" to 5" in that time. He is a very fat, very health beautiful fish. I have yet to see a fish his size and brightness of color in a store. I've got a 180 gallon display tank with about 15 fish. He eats 40-50% of all frozen food I put in the tank and 80 to 90% of all nori and spirullia tabs I put in the tank. I feed heavy because of this. After feeding and about 1/2 the food has been eaten he begins to panic and tries to eat as fast as he can. I've never seen him stop eating and is always begging for more.

In the past 2 months he has taken to doing:
  • Moving large acan colonys were he prefers, he'll move them from one half of the tank to the other half, 3 or 4 feet.
  • He pulls specific frags off my frag rack and dumps them almost always into the anemone so often that can't just be chance, its deliberate. One of the frags is probably not going to survive, the other, half has died.
Last straw:
  • I bought a large 4-by-3" trachy two weeks ago. I had been looking for one I really liked for over 6 months and finally found one and was willing to pay the $400 for it. It was my x-mas present to myself. Today he was caught taking large chunks out of it and eating it. It was far too late when discovered to save the trachy. In a matter of a couple hours he skeletonized the trachy.
Guess who's going back to the store, ASAP....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back