Round Scorpionfish

jaws222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to stock a 45g with some fish i can pick up on a collection trip in a few weeks, and i came across the round scorpionfish (Neomerinthe erostris) while going through a list of native species. i know scorpionfish are fairly sedentary and from the advice when keeping a dwarf lion from a few years ago as well as keeping predatory freshwater catfish for the past 10 years, i know that thy should be okay with fish that wont eat them and are too big to be eaten whole by them. according to fish base they get to around 4.5" so i fgured id just check what people here think too

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct with all your observations, this one does seem to be one of the smaller ones, and would be very happy in a 45g. Click my name and "find all threads" for a ton of info on scorps. Make sure there is lid on the tank, they will jump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jaws222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to tankmates, how large would they have to be compared to the scorp to be considered safe? As much as these guys are on my wishlist, the only must have in that tank is a pair of diamond watchmen gobies and id rather they didnt get vacuumed.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wu, that's kind of right on the borderline, but sized appropriately they should be fine. Scorps will grow fast so plan based on their max size. This is a small scorp with a max size around 4.5", in captivity they will likely be less than 4", they do have a large mouth in relationship to their body, and their eyes are bigger than stomach. I wouldn't house anything less than 4" and be robust in their body style. They can eat slender fish as much 2/3rds their own size and as I said earlier, will attempt to eat whatever they get into mouth. And they are quick. I.ve seen itty bitty diamond gobies and those would likely be toast, but I've also seen large ones, at closer to full size they should safe.

OP
OP
J

jaws222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diamond gobies are super common here so it shouldnt be very hard to get a hold of the larger ones. Sebae clowns should also be okay right? If we do manage to catch a scorp you okay if i message you to give it a once over before bringing it home?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, same goes for the clowns, sized appropriately, their robust shape will make them safe. Yes you can message me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back