Route drains around returns, or returns around drain?

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to CAD out my plumbing for the new build and I'm trying to decide if I should route the right return line (I'll be running dual DC pumps, each feeding a return on the back of the tank) around the drains or the drains around the returns? My overflow is rated for 2500gph max and each pump maxs at 3645gph. Since I will already be running the DC pumps at less than 100%, I'm thinking it makes more since to put the extra elbos on that one return line then it does to put more elbows on the three drains (Bean Animal).

Thoughts?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drains rely on gravity - too many turns and you can cause flow issues (some are ok, so it's not a calculation, just minimize). Returns are driven by pump - so more turns, angles, tees, equipment might drive up headloss enough to require a bigger pump but it's easily addressed that way. You can only increase drain force by water height and we're a tad limited on that. :)

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That was what I was thinking as well (I'm able to increase the flow of that return pump if needed). I'm pretty sure I'll be able to plumb the drains with only two 45° elbows. Return line A would be two 45° and a 90°. Return line B would need to be four 45° and four 90°.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back