ROX 0.8 carbon for free chlorine?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is ROX 0.8 carbon effective for 0.5ppm free chlorine?

I had a dinoflagellate outbreak in my neglected 10 gal QT (phosphates tested at 0.01ppm despite daily feedings).

I bleached all the equipment to start fresh. There’s some free chlorine left (0.5 with Hach strip), and I would like to remove it before cycling the tank with live rocks.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work, yes.
How long do you think it’ll take? 30 minutes past with powerhead mixing everything up, but the levels show the same.

Edit. Just tested my RO/DI with the new strip. The tank and RO/DI showed the same color. It’s so difficult to match a strip to a color chart without a known 0 standard on a strip. The RO/DI helped. Thanks, Randy!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you think it’ll take? 30 minutes past with powerhead mixing everything up, but the levels show the same.

Edit. Just tested my RO/DI with the new strip. The tank and RO/DI showed the same color. It’s so difficult to match a strip to a color chart without a known 0 standard on a strip. The RO/DI helped. Thanks, Randy!

You're welcome.

Happy reefing!

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was finally able to grab a bucket of rox .8 carbon and placed it in a small bag and tossed it into a filter sock and the next morning I was shocked how clear the water was. Amazing stuff! What is rox carbon exactly?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was finally able to grab a bucket of rox .8 carbon and placed it in a small bag and tossed it into a filter sock and the next morning I was shocked how clear the water was. Amazing stuff! What is rox carbon exactly?

Norit(R) ROX 0.8 is a form of carbon processed with steam or chemicals to generate many low-volume pores that increases the surface area available for absorption or chemical reactions. Because of its huge degree of micro-porosity, one gram can have up to 1000 m2 of surface area. Activated charcoal has many uses including gas purification, decaffeination, gold purification, metal extraction, water purification, medicine, sewage treatment, air filters, gas masks, and respirators along with filters in compressed air tanks.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Norit(R) ROX 0.8 is a form of carbon processed with steam or chemicals to generate many low-volume pores that increases the surface area available for absorption or chemical reactions. Because of its huge degree of micro-porosity, one gram can have up to 1000 m2 of surface area. Activated charcoal has many uses including gas purification, decaffeination, gold purification, metal extraction, water purification, medicine, sewage treatment, air filters, gas masks, and respirators along with filters in compressed air tanks.
Thank you for the information. I absolutely love this stuff as I said how well it works in a bag of all things. I ordered a media reactor so that'll really make things shine :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back