Royal Exclusive skimmer for Reefer 170

reeferdugong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

i have a Reefer 170 and am currently using the Deltec 400i skimmer. I must say that i'm not happy with the performance of my Deltec 400i skimmer. I'm having trouble to skim wet with it.
The reason why i want to skim wet is, i want to start carbon dosing again. I stopped carbon dosing previously because i had white slime bacterial bloom.

I'm thinking of getting a new Royal Exclusive skimmer to replace it. Do you guys think the RE Bubble King Double Cone 130 is perfect for my tank? Has anyone experience to share or suggestions?

Tank: Reefer 170 (43g), about 2 months old
Livestock:
2 small clowns
2 banggai cardinals
1 small yellow watchman goby
1 pistol shrimp

4A01F96D-1307-4791-A385-017E245913B7.jpeg

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
if you allow me, I would suggest you to pick the Bubble King Mini.
I already had both: Mini and the Cone. Currently I’m using the Mini 160 in a 300 litres sps tank.
In terms of performance you will be well served in any case. However, there is a tiny difference that nobody mentions linked to the collect cup.
This is a task (cleaning the cup) that you will do frequently... and for the Bubble King Mini, it is absolutely easy. It is not attached to anything, just pulled.
Meanwhile, the double cone you need to twist it to unlock (and after some time, it gets more and more tight). It is a tiny thing but always bothered me because I had to hold the skimmer with one hand and with the other try to twist the cup.

Besides, the design of the Mini is way cooler :)

Good luck!

OP
OP
reeferdugong

reeferdugong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! yeah personally i would go with BK Mini 160 too, but there are several reefers with my tank size (Reefer 170) which have trouble to get the correct water height for it. Supposedly the water height in the Reefer 170 is too low for the skimmer to function properly
So that's why im quite skeptical about getting it

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, fair enough!
But if this is your only concern, don’t worry... both work at pretty much at the same range for water level.

Good luck and enjoy the nice doubt :)

rcamps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
if you allow me, I would suggest you to pick the Bubble King Mini.
I already had both: Mini and the Cone. Currently I’m using the Mini 160 in a 300 litres sps tank.
In terms of performance you will be well served in any case. However, there is a tiny difference that nobody mentions linked to the collect cup.
This is a task (cleaning the cup) that you will do frequently... and for the Bubble King Mini, it is absolutely easy. It is not attached to anything, just pulled.
Meanwhile, the double cone you need to twist it to unlock (and after some time, it gets more and more tight). It is a tiny thing but always bothered me because I had to hold the skimmer with one hand and with the other try to twist the cup.

Besides, the design of the Mini is way cooler :)

Good luck!
I just picked up the 160 for a 60g cube. Hoping the tank size/bioload will be large enough to support.

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
Just some tips, if you allowed me:
-when you plug it for the first time.... let the skimmer run at 100% for some days. Only then, you can start to reduce the power in the control pump. I’m currently running at 3200 (max is 3600).
-the skimmer works really well with the CO2 scrubber, worth to think about...

Good luck!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh Bubble King, when the skimmer costs more than the tank!

don’t mind me, I’m very jealous :)

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they made a BK sized appropriately sized for a reefer 170 I’d buy it immediately. I think the 160 is too big and won’t perform consistently.

rcamps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
Just some tips, if you allowed me:
-when you plug it for the first time.... let the skimmer run at 100% for some days. Only then, you can start to reduce the power in the control pump. I’m currently running at 3200 (max is 3600).
-the skimmer works really well with the CO2 scrubber, worth to think about...

Good luck!
I don't have the DC version. There is no way to control pump output.

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, no problem then... you can easily control via water level inside the skimmer to have a wet or dry skimming.

If you feel that the skimmer is too strong (particularly in the beginning) you set to turn it off a few hours each day.

cheers

rcamps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, no problem then... you can easily control via water level inside the skimmer to have a wet or dry skimming.

If you feel that the skimmer is too strong (particularly in the beginning) you set to turn it off a few hours each day.

cheers
How do you find the noise level from the 160 ?

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Absolutely low.
Considering skimmers as reference, BBK are definetely in top list of the most silent ones.

My tank is in the living room are barely hear it... I believe that the Radions and Kessil coolers are louder than the skimmer itself...

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cheers
Understood, but in my experience the total amount of organics in a smaller water volume does not allow a stable foam heat until the concentration is higher. An oversized skimmer will not keep the concentration lower than a properly sized skimmer.

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely agree.
In my case, I use a BBK Mini 160 in a 100 gal tank sps only .. and still not at 100%.

I really like the new models with DC pumps, it gives you a lot of freedom to regulated the foam according to the stock load.

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chatted with RE on this and they recommend the 130 DC, RE is good about steering people away from oversized skimmers

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

i have a Reefer 170 and am currently using the Deltec 400i skimmer. I must say that i'm not happy with the performance of my Deltec 400i skimmer. I'm having trouble to skim wet with it.
The reason why i want to skim wet is, i want to start carbon dosing again. I stopped carbon dosing previously because i had white slime bacterial bloom.

I'm thinking of getting a new Royal Exclusive skimmer to replace it. Do you guys think the RE Bubble King Double Cone 130 is perfect for my tank? Has anyone experience to share or suggestions?

Tank: Reefer 170 (43g), about 2 months old
Livestock:
2 small clowns
2 banggai cardinals
1 small yellow watchman goby
1 pistol shrimp

4A01F96D-1307-4791-A385-017E245913B7.jpeg
I also have a reefer170, using Nyos 120 skimmer, skimming wet is no problem, water height not a problem. Very quiet, easy to clean.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chatted with RE on this and they recommend the 130 DC, RE is good about steering people away from oversized skimmers
Did you purchase the 130 dc? How do you like it and what’s the fit in the reefer170 sump?

sebi1100

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , Iam using the DC 130 with the new Red Dragon X DC pump since 10 months now for my 190L system.

It’s nice , I running the pump at just 20-30% . When Iam turn it up to more than 30% my its always too wet …

Just the cleaning could be easier in my opinion but it’s still good .

He is in 18-19cm water level .

For a Reefer 170 its will be great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back