Royal gamma hiding and heavy breathing.

AndrewBoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added this guy to my tank about 3 days ago. He was out swimming and eating fine but for the past day he has been hiding and heavy breathing. He has not eaten at all or moved. The other fish in the tank seem to be doing fine and are eating well they where all added at the same time to a cycled tank.

Water test come back all fine and I don't see anything visible on him that would show infection, his colours are bright.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What is age of tank?
Any signs of aggression from other fish or tail nipping?
What is ammonia level and water temperature?
Are eyes clear or cloudy?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. There's a couple of things to ask for here! :)

1. How big is your tank- and when was it cycled?
2. How many fish- and which ones did you add at the same time?
3. When you say "fine"; what are your actual parameters?
4. Any aggression?

Edited: @vetteguy53081 - beat me to it! :p

Callum121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A photo of the test results would help put alot with you saying there okay they may not be and someone may be able to assist

I

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine hides all day, that’s their thing.
It’s been 3 days.
I’d do nothing right now.
Are you sure he’s not sneaking a bite?
Maybe he’s just freaked out at his new home.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my ruled the tank, was always out and bossed the two clowns around. During a recent tank rip clean and re-organized the rocks and really stressed him out. 3 weeks later he is still hiding with the exception of feeding where he cautiously comes out for a little food.

Clowns were unphased and still prefer the water return vent.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added this guy to my tank about 3 days ago. He was out swimming and eating fine but for the past day he has been hiding and heavy breathing. He has not eaten at all or moved. The other fish in the tank seem to be doing fine and are eating well they where all added at the same time to a cycled tank.

Water test come back all fine and I don't see anything visible on him that would show infection, his colours are bright.

Whenever a new fish "backslides", that is, it was eating, then suddenly isn't, and is breathing hard, it is usually a disease issue. If it were a water quality issue, the other fish would be affected as well. If it were an acclimation issue, it would have started off not eating when you first put it in the tank.

Two infections are common with royal grammas that cause rapid breathing, but no external symptoms - velvet or gill flukes. Flukes come on gradually, over a few weeks, so that leave the possibility of velvet.

Can you post a video of the fish?
Is this a fish-only tank that you can treat in place?
If not, I don't suppose you have a treatment tank?

Jay

OP
OP
A

AndrewBoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever a new fish "backslides", that is, it was eating, then suddenly isn't, and is breathing hard, it is usually a disease issue. If it were a water quality issue, the other fish would be affected as well. If it were an acclimation issue, it would have started off not eating when you first put it in the tank.

Two infections are common with royal grammas that cause rapid breathing, but no external symptoms - velvet or gill flukes. Flukes come on gradually, over a few weeks, so that leave the possibility of velvet.

Can you post a video of the fish?
Is this a fish-only tank that you can treat in place?
If not, I don't suppose you have a treatment tank?

Jay
Video did not upload with the post for some reason, the tank only has 2 corals in it ATM but I can easily move to a holding tank. In terms of other fish, there are two clowns a red scooter blemmy and some hermit crabs. But I could set up a QT tank if needed.

OP
OP
A

AndrewBoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Video link
Video

Attachments

• 20231003_213729.mp4
    63.3 MB
OP
OP
A

AndrewBoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

He is now swimming around in the cave he chose when he was first put in the tank, his breathing seems better and is not lying on the bottom of the tank in the same place like he was. I have yet to see him eat but he looks way better than he has for the past few days.

I was going to do a freshwater dip today but if he continues to improve I wont bother as it will just stress him out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back