Royal Gramma aggression

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new (month old) Red Sea Max Nano. My first fish was a Royal Gramma. I have recently added a Wheeler Goby. The Gramma did the mouth thing a lot, for the first hour or so. Two days later there is still some chasing going on.

Will this continue? Will eventually getting a pistol shrimp help my Goby?

Bullies suck and nature is mean.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how the pistol shrimp things going to work, but the other two, just let them work it out.
As long as there’s no “increase” in violence (aka biting), then you’d have to separate.
It will work out.

OP
OP
ABQ_CHRIS

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if there's anything I can do to help things other than trying to make sure everyone has enough to eat.

Here's hoping!

cairolip21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it does continue or start to get bad... Depending on how much rock you have in the tank I've had luck netting the aggressor, taking them out of the tank for a bit, rearranging the rock, and then putting them back in. It breaks up the territory they know and can help decrease the aggression as they're now the new guy in town. Works even better if you have another tank or hospital tank the aggressive fish can stay in for a few days. Allow the other fish time to establish their territory in the new structure.

OP
OP
ABQ_CHRIS

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it does continue or start to get bad... Depending on how much rock you have in the tank I've had luck netting the aggressor, taking them out of the tank for a bit, rearranging the rock, and then putting them back in. It breaks up the territory they know and can help decrease the aggression as they're now the new guy in town. Works even better if you have another tank or hospital tank the aggressive fish can stay in for a few days. Allow the other fish time to establish their territory in the new structure.
That seems like sound advice. Let's hope that I won't need to follow it.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rearranging the scape helps when dealing with territorial fish like grammas.
Grammas are typically more bark than bite, eventually when it realizes the goby is not a threat it should back down.

Back