Royal Gramma Nest Building

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I go to hand feed my tank some white worms like I always do around this time, and noticed my Royal Gramma not going for the worms like he typically would... Instead he was going after random strands of filter floss and cat hair floating around in the water column. I'm screaming out, "NO DON'T EAT THAT YOU IDIOT!!!" But I noticed he wasn't eating it and taking it into his little den area. I wonder if hes trying to entice my black molly (which is female). :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I go to hand feed my tank some white worms like I always do around this time, and noticed my Royal Gramma not going for the worms like he typically would... Instead he was going after random strands of filter floss and cat hair floating around in the water column. I'm screaming out, "NO DON'T EAT THAT YOU IDIOT!!!" But I noticed he wasn't eating it and taking it into his little den area. I wonder if hes trying to entice my black molly (which is female). :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
He is a she. All royal grammas are born female.

OP
OP
killer2001

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think only the males build / gather things for a nest which is what mine is doing. He also seems to have more purple than yellow. Either way, it's cool to watch!

OP
OP
killer2001

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at the moment, I was using filter floss to capture free floating dinos and any random strands of floss in the water column he would snatch up and take back to his cave, lol.

OP
OP
killer2001

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the floss is currently out of the system, so I haven't seen him gathering anything else, but he still likes to chase the molly around, the other fish he doesn't seem to bother. I will often see him looking around for the molly too, lol.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 131 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.6%
Back