Royal Gramma - one eye white inside (not outside)

Orlando_V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, My Royal Gramma was doing fine until a few weeks ago. I notice he started hiding a lot and only peaking out occasionally to eat. I noticed last week that one of his eyes
seems to have turned white inside. The cornea is clear and there are no signs of other disease. Other than that he seems somewhat normal except that he is hiding more lately. He used to be quite outgoing. I had a maroon clown in with him which I removed so as to eliminate any bullying. They seemed to get along fine but the clown was a bit of a bully and I heard stories of maroon clowns becoming even more aggressive as they age so I removed him since I want a peaceful tank if possible. That was a few weeks ago and the gramma does seem to be peaking out more frequently now but as mentioned...they EYE! Is there anything to be done? (The other eye is fine.)

Image-1.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is likely a damaged cornea. I had a fish which had this and no health effects
Your best chance of recovery IF possible will be use of Maracyn one which is ethromyacin in qt tank for 5-7 days

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, My Royal Gramma was doing fine until a few weeks ago. I notice he started hiding a lot and only peaking out occasionally to eat. I noticed last week that one of his eyes
seems to have turned white inside. The cornea is clear and there are no signs of other disease. Other than that he seems somewhat normal except that he is hiding more lately. He used to be quite outgoing. I had a maroon clown in with him which I removed so as to eliminate any bullying. They seemed to get along fine but the clown was a bit of a bully and I heard stories of maroon clowns becoming even more aggressive as they age so I removed him since I want a peaceful tank if possible. That was a few weeks ago and the gramma does seem to be peaking out more frequently now but as mentioned...they EYE! Is there anything to be done? (The other eye is fine.)

Image-1.jpg

I know getting good fish pics is tough, but I can't really make up anything other than the white color here. There are three possibilities: a simple eye injury, internal eye flukes or external Neobenedenia flukes. A fourth option, cataracts can be ruled out because the white seems off-center to the eye's lens.

Was this fish ever treated with praziquantel?
How long have you had this fish?

Jay

OP
OP
Orlando_V

Orlando_V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know getting good fish pics is tough, but I can't really make up anything other than the white color here. There are three possibilities: a simple eye injury, internal eye flukes or external Neobenedenia flukes. A fourth option, cataracts can be ruled out because the white seems off-center to the eye's lens.

Was this fish ever treated with praziquantel?
How long have you had this fish?

Jay
Hi Jay, I have the fish about 6 months. Never sick nor treated as long as I've owned it. I sort of sense that he and the maroon clown had a royal squabble. But it is a sickly sort of white that accompanies infection. It is totally internal though. The white is what can be seen inside the eye, not on the surface of the eye.

OP
OP
Orlando_V

Orlando_V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is likely a damaged cornea. I had a fish which had this and no health effects
Your best chance of recovery IF possible will be use of Maracyn one which is ethromyacin in qt tank for 5-7 days
Hi, that sounds reasonable. Do you think (as I do) that the eye is blind or do you sense he reacts to stimuli on that side?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, I have the fish about 6 months. Never sick nor treated as long as I've owned it. I sort of sense that he and the maroon clown had a royal squabble. But it is a sickly sort of white that accompanies infection. It is totally internal though. The white is what can be seen inside the eye, not on the surface of the eye.

I would just observe it for now then, could just be a minor injury.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi, that sounds reasonable. Do you think (as I do) that the eye is blind or do you sense he reacts to stimuli on that side?
My tang had it and appeared to respond to stimuli
He ate and functioned fairly normal. Still around

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back