Royal Gramma spitting sand!!

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....

Today I woke up to sand all over my corals and rock.. like my tank had a mini storm overnight!!

Then I saw it... a little fountain of sand coming from under some rock.

On closer inspection it was my Royal grammar.. making some kind den under the rocks.

Has anyone else seen or had this problem? Am I going to just have to live with sand everywhere from now on? Is this a one off day?

I’ve had him for over a year, but never seen him do this before. It’s funny and the kids love to see his Sand fireworks but come on!!

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw mind slamming it self into the sand a few ago and I was worried but noticed it only seemed to do it when one of my new damsels was in the area, so I think it was just reminding it whose territory it is as it has not done in a while and the damsel seems to have found a place on the other side of the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not unusual. I would say feed it more but they don't eat a lot to begin with. Its out of boredom

OP
OP
Jim8o

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s literally grabbing mouthfuls of sand and spitting it/dumping it everywhere... maybe he’s one of those unicorn royal gramma cross sand sifting gobies

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours lives under a rock and cleans out the den every day. Most of the ones I've had in the past slept inside cubbies within the rock work but not this guy.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have two fish that enjoy grabbing a mouthful of sand and just casually dispersing it in the tank: midas blenny and orchid dottyback

the dottyback is actually making a den, so i get that one

but the midas blenny i have no idea, he digs up the front corner of my tank with no rock nearby so idk what his plan is

OP
OP
Jim8o

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours lives under a rock and cleans out the den every day. Most of the ones I've had in the past slept inside cubbies within the rock work but not this guy.

Mine lived in the rock work until today.. maybe he just wanted to move.. I wonder if it’s because he out grew his old home hmmm.

AnneO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Royal Gramma 'Lady' did it all the time until she kicked the Coral Beauty 'Sonic' out of his cave. Now she lives there and the excavation has stopped. So if you want yours to stop maybe offer some better real estate

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is doing the same in my 20g anemone tank. looks like he's clearing out his cave. I need to blow some sand off one of the RFA's from time to time.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines doing this too. I’m unsure why. I don’t know if I’m not feeding enough or it’s just bored but he does it probably once every 10 minutes or so when I’m watching

rvs2112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....

Today I woke up to sand all over my corals and rock.. like my tank had a mini storm overnight!!

Then I saw it... a little fountain of sand coming from under some rock.

On closer inspection it was my Royal grammar.. making some kind den under the rocks.

Has anyone else seen or had this problem? Am I going to just have to live with sand everywhere from now on? Is this a one off day?

I’ve had him for over a year, but never seen him do this before. It’s funny and the kids love to see his Sand fireworks but come on!!
Mine is doing the same since the Goby was taken out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back