Royal Gramma Tankmates

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,460
Reaction score
1,480
Location
Cary, NC
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm setting up two tanks at my kids preschool. Just stocking it with cheap common stuff that the general public will like. I've heard reports of Royal Grammas being bullies, but I've also heard of them being overly shy in other tanks. I've never personally had one before so I'm not sure which of the two tanks it would fit in better with. Neither tank is straight up aggressive but one is being set up with mostly very passive fish and the other with some sometimes-aggressive fish that in my experience bully those in the passive tank.

35g reef (20" cube)
- Firefish
- Yellow Watchman Goby
- Banggai Cardinalfish
- Tailspot Blenny
- Coral Beauty Angelfish
- Lubbocks Wrasse

36g FOWLR (standard bowfront dimensions)
- Percula clownfish
- 2 Blue Chromis
- Sixline wrasse
- Blue spot pufferfish
- Hawkfish
- Candy Hogfish

Which tankmates would be better for a royal gramma? I was initially planning the first but now I'm leaning towards the latter.
 
Just my opinion personally, but RG is usually a timid fish in my experience, and the second tank looks pretty aggressive to me for the purpose of a preschool tank. Even the first tank with the wrasse and anglefish could get pretty aggressive too.
 
Royal grammas are 9/10 little wimps who defend a hole. The 1/10 that are mean are uncommon, though it's a pretty strong fish when it gets older if it does get mean. It may not like the firefish, but I'd still probably choose the first tank
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new