Royal gramma unknown marking on gill

sloogan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Just moved to a new house over winter and finally was able to transfer my tank. When I was transferring I miscalculated the time the RO/DI would take to fill the entire 65 DT and 35 gallon sump, my 4 little guys (2 P.B Clowns, 1 Melanarus W, and 1 royal gramma) spent a little over 10 hours in a 5. Gal bucket with heater and an air stone. These guys have been extremely resilient the entire way, but my gramma has developed some sort of damage on his gill plate and lower tail fin. My guess is he ran into the heater or got stuck between it and gave himself a nasty burn, my other guess is he panicked in the bucket and scratched himself on some small LR in the bucket. He took 3 days to come out of hiding which is expected in a new tank, he is eating fine and slowly coming out to swim, doesn’t appear to be gasping or any sort of labored swimming. I really would rather not chase him around the tank and cause anymore stress on the residents as they just settled in so would like to avoid that at all costs.

TLDR: Moved my fish after spending 10 hrs in temp regulated 5 gal royal gramma has damage on his gill plate and tail.

832EF726-E756-4C2C-93F6-F000E6418A4B.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a whole lot you can do without removing the fish from the DT. Ruby Reef Rally is "reef safe" and has both antibiotic and antiseptic "qualities" that could help the fish to heal. It's very gentle and could help the fish's immune system to heal the wounded spots.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back