Royal Gramma vs. Orchid Dottyback

Kola99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to choose and create a list of livestock for my 55gal reef tank. Can’t choose between the Royal Gramma and the Orchid Dottyback. I was hoping some reefers who own(ed) these fish could give me their input. I was mostly wondering about where they like to hang out and how they like to spend their time. As well as anything else you think should be known about these fish. Thank you everybody :)

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well they behave very similarly as far as having a cave zone area that they'll defend. grammas are usually much more peaceful tho

dottybacks range from kinda feisty with the orchid all the way into borderline psychos with something like the diadema

i've had a orchid for a couple years now and i'd say he's fine in a mostly peaceful tank, but if you have a bunch of small stuff like gobies, i can see it being mean to them. mine mostly hangs in a small area and just lets new fish know where his spot is

if you want to do both i'd just recommend getting the gramma in there early and let it establish before adding the orchid

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dotty loves to make everyone know who the tank ruler is. Beautiful fish but can be aggressive also they do have their hiding spot as well

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been interested in one of these two fish for a while.

From reading posts I came to the conclusion that the orchid dottyback was more peaceful than the royal gramma, although that flies against the normal behavior of dottybacks.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd vote gramma as well. They're quite peaceful where dottybacks are spawns of satan.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both together in my tank without problems.
In my experience Gramma are the hardier fish and usually stay in the same spot for most of the time. Orchids are more active and inquisitive. They like to stick their noses into every cavity, including turned off pumps, which has let to quite a few of them suffering fatal accidents.
Both species get along well with each other.
Both should be kept in pairs or groups.
Orchids are easy to pair as they are able to change sex both ways and singles seem to revert back into females. One larger and one smaller is usually the fastest way to a pair.
Gramma do not change sex but if there is at least one female in the tank, 2 males will get along. So ideally you get a trio (or more) of the smallest juveniles you can find.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my orchid dottyback. she has been really good with my other fish (flasher wrasse, clown, green clown goby, firefish, benggai cardinalfish)

griffinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a gramma once. Loved that fish (lost it to an ich outbreak in a 20g). Never saw any aggression from it. Never had a dottyback though

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back