Royal Grammar Strange Behaviors

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

Over the last week, my Royal Grammar has been acting funny more like strange. I’ve had him for about seven months and he’s always hidden within the rocks. Now, since earlier this week, he just lays motionless outside of his usual home. Overnight, he built a little trench and then decided to move to the opposite side of the tank and lay up against another rock (see picture). Again, motionless.

I have tried to find forms online where it describes this type of behavior but it’s been challenging. He hasn’t eaten in a few days either. Just wondering if anybody else has experience this type of behavior and see it as “normal “.

Everyone else in my tank is happy, so I’m leaning more towards strange behavior versus anything else but maybe it’s a sickness. I’m just not sure.

IMG_9059.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any other fish in the tank? What do you feed it?
I would say not normal behavior to sit on the sand and not eat. I would do some water testing and maybe a water change to start.

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns, a frogspawn coral, Zoas and my back wall covered in GSP. It’s a 16 gallon tank and I do weekly water changes. I’m feeding them PE Frozen Mysis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any other fish in the tank? What do you feed it?
I would say not normal behavior to sit on the sand and not eat. I would do some water testing and maybe a water change to start.
I have two clowns, a frogspawn coral, Zoas and my back wall covered in GSP. It’s a 16 gallon tank and I do weekly water changes. I’m feeding them PE Frozen Mysis.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not feed just one type of food. Try to add some new foods to the diet, frozen mysis is not very nutritious

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a result of a dispute with one of the clowns?
Both territorial and that’s a smaller system.
He was always very shy and of anything was more aggressive with the clown. I can’t seem my clowns bully him to submission like this lol

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I found him in the same place but now he is grabbing a mouth full of sand and spitting it out. It seems that maybe he is trying to make a home outside instead of inside the rocks. Maybe he always behaved this way and since he was hiding, we never saw him. I attached a video.

Let me know your thoughts on this behavior.

Attachments

• IMG_9070.mov
    18.6 MB

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen such behaviour with my gramma. But his tail coloring looks off with some white patches. Not sure if its an issue tho.

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to buy some live brim Mysis over the weekend to stimulate him and he managed to eat a few but from the same spot he has been lying for the few days. My LFS said that the minor discoloration could be from not eating and not necessarily ICH. I have not see any white spots on him either. I feel really bad seeing him that way. My LFS also stated that I can bring him in and place him in their quarantine tank that has medication but there is a risk that the stress might kill him. I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions please?

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst case scenario u can maybe put him in an acclimation box and monitor.

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

A few days ago when I woke up and went to the tank to see how he is doing, I no longer saw him on his usually spot so I got excited that he finally moved. As I turned around, to my shock, he was laying on my counter top. He had jumped out of the tank over night and died. I can’t believe this had happened just when I was about to isolated and treat him but something tells me he new it was his time and made the choice himself. I think he finally got stressed about what was going on and with rapid/irradiate swimming patterns jumped out.

Is this something that is natural for a fish to do when sick?

RIP Creeper

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back