Royal pencil wrasse care

Guigo Novaes

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 30, 2025
Messages
21
Reaction score
5
Location
brazil
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Just got a royal pencil wrasse. It is doing pretty well I think. It unburies it self in the morning and buries again in the afternoon about 13:00. I just got it so I think it is a little stressed and that’s why it is not eating pellets (it eats a lot of mysis and fish eggs)

Here is a video I took at the LFS I got it from.

Do any of you guys have tips or tricks to take good care of this fish?

Thanks a lot!

Rodrigo Novaes, Brasil
 

Sorry! Here is the video!
 
So my pencil wrasse is buried. It buried it self yesterday and haven’t come out yet. Does anyone know if it is a normal behavior while adapting to a new reef tank?
 
So my pencil wrasse is buried. It buried it self yesterday and haven’t come out yet. Does anyone know if it is a normal behavior while adapting to a new reef tank?
That is normal for most wrasses. Only six line wrasses seem to be active hunters in my experience.
 
So my pencil wrasse is buried. It buried it self yesterday and haven’t come out yet. Does anyone know if it is a normal behavior while adapting to a new reef tank?
That is normal for most wrasses. Only six line wrasses seem to be active hunters in my experience.
Thanks for the reply! I think it is just getting used to his nem home. I have a leopard wrasse that only buries its self only when the lights go out!
 
Thanks for the reply! I think it is just getting used to his nem home. I have a leopard wrasse that only buries its self only when the lights go out!
Interesting. When I had a leopard wrasse, it acted nocturnal.
 
Nice! That wrasse is on my list. I have two red coris wrasses that bury themselves off and on. First one was buried a lot more until I got the second one.
 
UPDATE:

Hey guys, my pencil wrasse buried its self yesterday in the afternoon and hasn’t come out yet. Is it normal?

Sorry for the exaggerated concern about this fish.
 
It takes a few weeks for it’s scheduled to normalize. Also if it is bothered it will go into the sand.
How is he today?
 
It takes a few weeks for it’s scheduled to normalize. Also if it is bothered it will go into the sand.
How is he today?
Hey! Thanks for the reply!

He is doing very well. He is even eating food out of my hand!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new