royal purple shimmer

glenn37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a new 40 breeder tank for nothing but macroalgea i have a 2 bulb t5ho with zoomeds flora sun bulbs in it and the tank is starting to cycle and a Hydor 1150 on it. I want to purchase Royal purple shimmer encrusting macroalgea what do i need to have for it to thrive and do i need lots of rubble or what does it grow on?

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also Collospongia sp in the pic which would fit the encrusting description more than Hypnea imo. They don't list a Latin name so not sure which you will get. Hypnea can become somewhat invasive and be a pita to control. IME, Hypnea will grow everywhere unless there is absolutely zero light. It will grow so thick that the inside is starved of light and dies resulting in large chunks breaking off and establishing elsewhere. I've had Cowries eat it but nothing else.

Collospongia can be somewhat invasive but is easy to remove by simply peeling it off. I've had Tangs and Angels pick at the new white growth but never eat the established sections.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also Collospongia sp in the pic which would fit the encrusting description more than Hypnea imo. They don't list a Latin name so not sure which you will get. Hypnea can become somewhat invasive and be a pita to control. IME, Hypnea will grow everywhere unless there is absolutely zero light. It will grow so thick that the inside is starved of light and dies resulting in large chunks breaking off and establishing elsewhere. I've had Cowries eat it but nothing else.

Collospongia can be somewhat invasive but is easy to remove by simply peeling it off. I've had Tangs and Angels pick at the new white growth but never eat the established sections.
Agreed, however I assumed it was the Hypnea since it said macroalgae

OP
OP
glenn37

glenn37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
either way do i need lots of rock or will a sand bed work?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back