OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a couple of water change stations that incorporate a really good idea that you might want to try as well. With the top water container...and bottom one as well...you can't see how much water is actually in the containers without getting on a latter and looking into the container.

So, I've seen where people will drill and put a uniseal on the side of the container at the bottom and at the top. The run a small pvc pipe out with a 90 degree elbow (bottom one pointing up, top one pointing down), then between the 90 degree elbows put a clear piece of acrylic tubing! As the water fills the bucket, it will also fill the acrylic tube and you can always see how much water is in the bucket! I've kept this in the back of my mind as something to do for my water station whenever I get off my lazy hind-end and make it happen!
Dang that is a good idea.. I just Trust my float valve lol in the future I am going to install some optical sensors from the apex so it will tell me when the bin is low or full..

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a reactor yesterday and have it plumed up and ready to go I was thinking about trying a GFO and Carbon mix in the same camber. Is that an effective way to battle high Phosphate?
I have done it that way before. The only downside is they sometimes need to be replaced on different schedules.

You can easily over do it with GFO. Don't let that happen. Don't strip below .05 unless you are feeding super heavy multiple times per day. Only then is it really safe to have PO4 running low.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a reactor yesterday and have it plumed up and ready to go I was thinking about trying a GFO and Carbon mix in the same camber. Is that an effective way to battle high Phosphate?
I would stick to carbon in a media bag and GFO in the reactor because they have different periods before being spent and also some GFO like rowaphos for example needs a certain flow rate, which may start to break the carbon down.

Just remember to start out you may need to change the GFO frequently or the process won’t work correctly

OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done it that way before. The only downside is they sometimes need to be replaced on different schedules.

You can easily over do it with GFO. Don't let that happen. Don't strip below .05 unless you are feeding super heavy multiple times per day. Only then is it really safe to have PO4 running low.
Yeah I definitely do not want those problems I would like to avoid ultra low readings. Dynos are not fun.

OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick to carbon in a media bag and GFO in the reactor because they have different periods before being spent and also some GFO like rowaphos for example needs a certain flow rate, which may start to break the carbon down.

Just remember to start out you may need to change the GFO frequently or the process won’t work correctly
Great tip I didn't know that. I can run the carbon in a bag next to the filter sock area.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tip I didn't know that. I can run the carbon in a bag next to the filter sock area.

Yeah,
Shaun is right.

GFO needs to tumble at a certain rate (in its own reactor), the flow rate and lifespan of carbon could be different than GFO.

You don't want to tumble carbon (keep it packed tight), because it's soft, and could grind down to small fines which can lead to HLLE within tangs.

OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update!!!

As of three weeks ago I seen my first few spots of coralline!! since then it has been popping up in random spots all over the tank. The tank has been cruising along I don't want to jynx my self but saying to much lol. Here is one spot of coralline on the bare bottom of the tank my Favia photo bombing in the back.

CORALLINE.jpg

Back