RR Orange Passion = SC Orange Passion?

shlap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this over in the SPS ID thread, but I don't think that section gets attention all that often and I wanted to get you SPS addicts thoughts on this.

After doing quite a big of digging, I'm positive the original RR CA Orange Passion and the SC Orange Passion are the same acro.

Here's the original RR Canada frag that went to the US, from RR CA's photo bucket acct

The mom...
19.jpg

A frag sent to the US. (I'd guess it went to RRUSA back in 2012 when they were friendly) The name of the file is USAFRGS043.jpg
IMAGES835.jpg

A close up...
USFRAGS043.jpg

Here's my Orange Passion that came from someone who got it from SexyCorals. Both green base, light blue tips, and super orange polyps.
16330142469_6b08654d5b.jpg

Now here's the colony of what Two Guys sells from Jensen AKA RR Asia as Orange Passion. A sweet piece for sure (I have this one too), but it doesn't look like a tenuis like the original one that CA was selling.
attachment.php

Here's my frag from Two Guys, what I call RR Asia OP now...
15893931554_aa66e6d092_o.jpg

What do you guys think looking at that mother colony and my frag from Two Guys / RR Asia? Same as the original that came out of Canada in 2012?

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are two different pieces entirely. I also believe there are a too many corals listed as RR that are no where near the same coral as the originals.

I have a RR OP and its different from the above pics as well. Color is green with orange tips w/slight red or pink. I think the SC one is the best looking. Let me know if you ever want to trade a frag for it.

OP
OP
S

shlap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are two different pieces entirely. I also believe there are a too many corals listed as RR that are no where near the same coral as the originals.

I have a RR OP and its different from the above pics as well. Color is green with orange tips w/slight red or pink. I think the SC one is the best looking. Let me know if you ever want to trade a frag for it.

Yeah I really think the original OP from Canada was sent to RRUSA in 2012 and is what they sell today. And I know Mike @ SexyCorals said his wasn't from RR but when I look at my SC and the original photos, there's no denying that's the same coral. Then there's this new one from Two Guys and RR Asia that is sick but if it's not the same, I really wish they wouldn't muddy the waters by giving it the same name.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really think the original OP from Canada was sent to RRUSA in 2012 and is what they sell today. And I know Mike @ SexyCorals said his wasn't from RR but when I look at my SC and the original photos, there's no denying that's the same coral. Then there's this new one from Two Guys and RR Asia that is sick but if it's not the same, I really wish they wouldn't muddy the waters by giving it the same name.

Yea I agree with the naming thing. All these guys are doing is hurting themselves. Which is why I believe this whole reef raft asia/Canada thing is basically going to fizzle out and not be as high end as they claim to be, Sad.....

conchreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my advise for anyone who is thinking of spending alot of money on this coral. Buy something else because you will never see orange polyps unless you ps them on. Just like I have on mine !! The polyps are rust or gold and no way orange.
IMG_20150104_151419_430-1_zpsd9a42c1f_edit_1423630100765_zpsjtymmi4x.jpg

OP
OP
S

shlap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my advise for anyone who is thinking of spending alot of money on this coral. Buy something else because you will never see orange polyps unless you ps them on. Just like I have on mine !! The polyps are rust or gold and no way orange.

Not true at all. Blast it with light and they get bright orange. At least my SC one does. It's getting 600 PAR and polyps glow exactly like the photo.

conchreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true at all. Blast it with light and they get bright orange. At least my SC one does. It's getting 600 PAR and polyps glow exactly like the photo.
I have a 400watt reeflux 10k with 150 watts of royal blue leds and only 12" of water. Lets see a picture

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I agree with the naming thing. All these guys are doing is hurting themselves. Which is why I believe this whole reef raft asia/Canada thing is basically going to fizzle out and not be as high end as they claim to be, Sad.....

+1

The Reef Raft brand has become diluted and doesn't mean what it used to. A lot of these classics will probably be around a long time, and for good reason. I just hope that people don't buy a coral thinking they're getting a different one.

In my opinion, the RR Asia has an unrelated lineage to the originals.

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took this with my cellphone. It's a cruddy pic, but maybe u can get an idea of what I'm talking about. And it wasn't really happy in this pic, that's why the polyps weren't super orange.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1000
I myself was a skeptic, until I saw RR USA's Orange Passion with my own eyes under a realistic blend of T5s. The polyps are very ORANGE.

@shlap didn't mike originally get his from rr usa tony?
I thought so...

To my knowledge, RR USA orange passion is equivalent to SC orange passion.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 138 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back