RSR G2 diaphragm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.
I ordered an RSR G2 200 around 2 months ago.
For the first month or so the diaphragm worked great, it was set and forget.

One day around a month ago I was watching my cal and mag creep up on my trident. I did a salinity test and noticed it had jumped from .25 to .26. I realized it was due to the water level dropping in the back overflow box.

since that day I cannot get the diaphragm to remain stable. every time I set it ill come home the next day (or even just a few hours later) and the water level will have moved. either it will be overflowing the E-pipe or it will be down quite a bit overfilling my sump and causing my skimmer to run wet.

I've tried all sorts. I've opened it fully and closed it fully a bunch and I've taken it apart and cleaned it (not that there was any dirt inside bar a bacteria film). Nothing has helped.

I'm just a little confused to what's going on here. I know there were problems with the G1 version but I thought Red Sea had fixed them with this new design. Apparently not. I've messaged Red Sea directly witch they have advised me to just disassemble and clean.

I'm going to assume ill just have to buy a standard gate valve and swap this diaphragm out? I've never had an issue with a standard gate before, bar having to open it and close it every 6m or so due to buildup. Not once have I had to take one apart or adjust it more than once every few months maybe.

Any one else had this problem with the G2?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little trickle down the emergency overflow is perfectly fine and actually a good idea (it's next to impossible to get it to perfectly balance, so you always end up having the water slightly low in the overflow or at the edge of the emergency overflow and occasionally going over).

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really talking about where I'm setting the level to, I'm more talking about how wildly it will swing.
I'm more talking about how unstable it seems to be. you can set it however you like but in my experience with this one, it will wildly fluctuate.
Set it to a trickle over the E-overflow and it may stay stable for 24-48h but then it will suddenly shift to either a torrent over the e-flow or breaking the siphon and slurping in the extreme. it's weird.
I've even gone to the length of monitoring the voltage and draw of my return pump in case the mains in this place was swinging or something and affecting the DC pump.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really talking about where I'm setting the level to, I'm more talking about how wildly it will swing.
I'm more talking about how unstable it seems to be. you can set it however you like but in my experience with this one, it will wildly fluctuate.
Set it to a trickle over the E-overflow and it may stay stable for 24-48h but then it will suddenly shift to either a torrent over the e-flow or breaking the siphon and slurping in the extreme. it's weird.
I've even gone to the length of monitoring the voltage and draw of my return pump in case the mains in this place was swinging or something and affecting the DC pump.
Are you running a constant pump speed?

Back