RSR Nano overflow noisy almost every night

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

easily_fishstracted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a problem with my RSR nano's return, in which it becomes really noisy (sloshing water sound), and this always seems to happen at 3 or 4 in the morning.

i thought it was because the nyos viper pump 3 i put in there was somehow giving too much flow even when ramped down, and so put the syncra silent back in.

i took apart the regulator valve and cleaned it - no snails or anything, but i still have to adjust it all the time. any other ideas?

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You generally want to adjust the gatevalve to have the water level 1/4" inch below the backup drain for silent operation.

I assume the noise is water entering the backup drain. If you have alot of flow, there can be some noise from flow over the filter socks.

In general the gate valve works for majority of people. There have been lemons and ours that just curse it, but it is stable for the majoirty. If it's damaged, Red Sea should replace it ASAP

OP
OP
easily_fishstracted

easily_fishstracted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks - will check the water level in the backup drain. i was always adjusting just to a point where it didn't make noise and didn't result in rising water in the return chamber.

for me it was stable for a few months, and maybe there is just something stuck in there that didn't make it all the way to the diaphragm yet, so will open up again probably.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back