RSR250 v3 Sump -- About to Drive Me to Drink

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title says it all, but if you need more detail...

I have spent hours fidgeting with my intake valve and return pump speed, messed with the ATO level, and even said Beetlejuice three times and the water level in my first three chambers (filter, fuge, skimmer) is inexcusably high, and is freakishly slow to trickle down into the return chamber.

When I get the valve adjusted to that sweet, gurgle-free spot, one would think I could set it and forget it. Nope. And whether my return pump is at 5% or 50%, the water level from the first three chambers stays high, and the water level in the return chamber stays (comparatively) quite low. Tell me what I'm doing wrong, because I'm about to superman-punch this sump into the sun.

Skimmer Chamber Water Level.jpg

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a gate doohickey in the wall with the gap in it where your sponge bubble trap goes that adjusts the water level of the return.
The water level in the other parts of your sump should not change unless you turn your pump off of course and it back flows and your sump is at an even level.

brick-brothers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't help but laugh. The water level usually go as high as your baffles. If the water supercede the last baffle when your return pump is located than that's a problem. You probably need to take a pic further away so ppl can get a better look of the sump/ baffles and water level

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water level you set in the return chamber is mostly personal preference but you want it at least 2 inches or so above the top of your pump.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my gate baffle dealie-wig all the way to the bottom. The water level in the skimmer chamber is about 2" higher than it should be.

As for the return chamber itself, I just want the water level to be high enough to keep the pump submerged. I just don't understand why the water is backing up so significantly between the two chambers.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC that gate won't actually change the water level in your skimmer chamber just the pump/return chamber. If you've played with it and can't get your water level where you want in the return chamber you need to add water.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC that gate won't actually change the water level in your skimmer chamber just the pump/return chamber. If you've played with it and can't get your water level where you want in the return chamber you need to add water.
I want the water level in the fuge and skimmer chambers to be lower. If I restrict flow, it's gurgle city with overflow tsunamis, followed by the return chamber level dropping and blowing microbubbles into the tank. If flow is nice and smooth, the return chamber gets enough water to stay submerged, but the level in the other chambers is still too high. I can't find a balance.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want the water level in the fuge and skimmer chambers to be lower. If I restrict flow, it's gurgle city with overflow tsunamis, followed by the return chamber level dropping and blowing microbubbles into the tank. If flow is nice and smooth, the return chamber gets enough water to stay submerged, but the level in the other chambers is still too high. I can't find a balance.
I have a RSR350 and have experience some of the same issues. Most of those disappeared when I bought a RSK 300 skimmer, which has a handy "ideal water height" strip in which it's "recommended" that you operate the unit. That also seems to minimize gurgling and downflow problems. It's a bit of a pricey fix, but the skimmer itself is excellent. I now keep the return chamber filled much higher than the actual height of the return pump.

I think ATO (and not the crappy float valve option that comes with the sump) + keeping the skimmer chamber filled within a narrow range is key to a quiet tank for me.

I just checked my tank: the "optimal water level" on the skimmer has a range of only about 2cm. My water level in the skimmer chamber is about 24cm high (bottom of sump to the water surface).

Last edited:
OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RSR350 and have experience some of the same issues. Most of those disappeared when I bought a RSK 300 skimmer, which has a handy "ideal water height" strip in which it's "recommended" that you operate the unit. That also seems to minimize gurgling and downflow problems. It's a bit of a pricey fix, but the skimmer itself is excellent. I now keep the return chamber filled much higher than the actual height of the return pump.

I think ATO (and not the crappy float valve option that comes with the sump) + keeping the skimmer chamber filled within a narrow range is key to a quiet tank for me.
I actually have the RSK 300 skimmer as well. The water in that chamber is consistently above the top of that sticker. I also am using a separate ATO — the built in one never worked properly.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have the RSK 300 skimmer as well. The water in that chamber is consistently above the top of that sticker. I also am using a separate ATO — the built in one never worked properly.
Do you elevate your skimmer? And -- I know that I'm stating the obvious here -- have you given the return chamber and both downspout pipes (and valve) a good clean? I had a lot of gunk in mine which was restricting flow, at least to some extent. I bought a third- or fourth- hand tank, which had a bad case of leaks at the seals (which was a simple case of missing O-rings), and a deep clean actually did help.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the water level is above the bafflewhatzit? Have you tried slowing down the pump, leaving it on the slower setting then adjusting your valve to that setting? What kind of overflow does your tank have?

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you elevate your skimmer? And -- I know that I'm stating the obvious here -- have you given the return chamber and both downspout pipes (and valve) a good clean? I had a lot of gunk in mine which was restricting flow, at least to some extent. I bought a third- or fourth- hand tank, which had a bad case of leaks at the seals (which was a simple case of missing O-rings), and a deep clean actually did help.
It's all clean and fresh — it's a brand new tank and has been up and running for about a month. I'm wondering if maybe the sponge bubble trap is gunked up, because at this point it's the only thing that I haven't messed around with.

So the water level is above the bafflewhatzit? Have you tried slowing down the pump, leaving it on the slower setting then adjusting your valve to that setting? What kind of overflow does your tank have?
Yes, significantly above the baffle-di-doo. And yes, I have tried every pump/valve balance under the sun. The overflow is based on the bean animal design.

Btw I need a haircut. I just looked in the mirror and realized how much I look like that picture!
Pics or it didn't happen! :p

beetlejuice GIF

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stupid as it sounds... did you put too much water? Is the water above the float valve in the return chamber? You may need to drain a liter or so of water and let it run for 5 minutes and see where it's at.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. I have something to offer that may or may not be helpful, but thought I’d share in case it turns out to be at least a tiny bit helpful.

I struggled w/this same issue in my AIO. It had me going absolutely insane, and Red Sea couldn’t figure out how to help. Finally, I realized I had a bag of chemipure in the built-in carbon chamber that was a bit too fat and was restricting water flow from the skimmer chamber on the left of it to the return chamber on the right.

Is there anything that could be blocking flow?

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stupid as it sounds... did you put too much water? Is the water above the float valve in the return chamber? You may need to drain a liter or so of water and let it run for 5 minutes and see where it's at.
I considered that, too, and have messed with removing and adding water. The float valve in the return chamber is never submerged.

So. I have something to offer that may or may not be helpful, but thought I’d share in case it turns out to be at least a tiny bit helpful.

I struggled w/this same issue in my AIO. It had me going absolutely insane, and Red Sea couldn’t figure out how to help. Finally, I realized I had a bag of chemipure in the built-in carbon chamber that was a bit too fat and was restricting water flow from the skimmer chamber on the left of it to the return chamber on the right.

Is there anything that could be blocking flow?
I was thinking it could be the sponge bubble trap between the skimmer and return chambers, so I'm going to fuss with that later today. Otherwise, water flows smoothly from the downspout(s), through the filter chamber, refugium, and into the skimmer chamber.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, now that I looked at the picture on my computer vs phone, your bubble-trap sponge looks a bit clogged up. Try cleaning it out. I had a problem in the past on my 525XL of that sponge getting clogged with Pineapple sponges and it would cause my skimmer to overflow because the water level would go to high and my return chamber would drop super low.. I ended up removing it, all my problems were solved. For whatever reason I have really crazy sponge production. I bet you your problems will be fixed after you clean it.

Last edited:

AnyNameYouWish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I seen your picture my first thought was the sponge in between the skimmer and return chambers is getting clogged. Is the water level the same as your refugium chamber? Maybe the drain “gate” valve is too far open, the water level in the overflow is supposed to be around an inch below the emergency drain tube.
I really like my rsr250 but hate that diaphragm valve and constantly adjusting it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back