rtn event possibly due to a sting

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this brain coral for 12 years or so and its never harmed another coral. Its been in near direct contact with encructing montis and digitata. A few months ago i got a birdsnest colony and put it near the brain. Its been about 4 months since then and the birdsnest double in size. About 3 weeks ago i noticed the brain putting out long sweepers for the first time ever, ive been monitoring it but they werent getting close to any of the coral that i could see. 2 days ago i noticed a tip of a branch of the birdnest white, i didnt think much of it til the next morning when the colony was a total loss. However this morning some digitata that had to be out of reach of the brain had begun rtn as well.

The best i can describe it its the flesh looks to disintegrate and get covered in what seems like brown jelly that happens to euphyllia.

So i think its likely that the brain stung the birdnest and maybe triggered a bacterial infection thats now spreading? Please give me your thoughts. I will be going to my lfs later to pick up some rtn stop and im going to try to get some cipro. What would be the best course of action to keep this from spreading to the rest of the sps? 90% of the coral is very well established and cannot be easily removed without tearing apart the scape, so i need something i can treat in tank

Parameters have been consistent the past few months. These are the most recent results but i will be testing again later today and sent out an icp on monday

Sg 1.024
Temp 78-79
Alk 7.3
Cal 460
Mg 1370
Nitrate 25-30
Phosphates 0.08

Last edited:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this brain coral for 12 years or so and its never harmed another coral. Its been in near direct contact with encructing montis and digitata. A few months ago i got a birdsnest colony and put it near the brain. Its been about 4 months since then and the birdsnest double in size. About 3 weeks ago i noticed the brain putting out long sweepers for the first time ever, ive been monitoring it but they werent getting close to any of the coral that i could see. 2 days ago i noticed a tip of a branch of the birdnest white, i didnt think much of it til the next morning when the colony was a total loss. However this morning some digitata that had to be out of reach of the brain had begun rtn as well.

The best i can describe it its the flesh looks to disintegrate and get covered in what seems like brown jelly that happens to euphyllia.

So i think its likely that the brain stung the birdnest and maybe triggered a bacterial infection thats now spreading? Please give me your thoughts. I will be going to my lfs later to pick up some rtn stop and im going to try to get some cipro. What would be the best course of action to keep this from spreading to the rest of the sps?
sorry for your losses

yes brains have LONG sweeper tentacles when they choose to use them. Try an iodine dip on the stung coral, then put it in new home and pray

You may have to erect a barrier between brain and other corals. We have a flatish rock that we sit on end like a wall

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for your losses

yes brains have LONG sweeper tentacles when they choose to use them. Try an iodine dip on the stung coral, then put it in new home and pray

You may have to erect a barrier between brain and other corals. We have a flatish rock that we sit on end like a wall
The birdnest is already done for but the digitata that is being affected now cant be removed. Its a large colony encrusted on multiple large rocks. I need an in tank treatment

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a frag of the digitata, from a healthy area, in case you can't save it.

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a frag of the digitata, from a healthy area, in case you can't save it.
I have alot of it throughout the tank already, if i lost the colony thats affected right now itd be a shame but id be ok. I just want to make absolutely sure this doesnt spread further to my acros or other valuable sps

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the case, I'd just chop the thing if I had to, to get all the infected tissue out of the tank. I wouldn't attempt treating the entire tank and putting all the other corals at risk to save one digitata colony, however impressive it may be, especially when you already have established backup colonies. I think @AquaBiomics has tried treating Cipro on a DT, maybe he/she can chime in with insight. Or find the big BJD treatment thread they started, the info might be there.

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
If that's the case, I'd just chop the thing if I had to, to get all the infected tissue out of the tank. I wouldn't attempt treating the entire tank and putting all the other corals at risk to save one digitata colony, however impressive it may be, especially when you already have established backup colonies. I think @AquaBiomics has tried treating Cipro on a DT, maybe he/she can chime in with insight. Or find the big BJD treatment thread they started, the info might be there.
Thats where i got the idea for a cipro treatment, lots of good info there.

And part of the problem is its encrusted on a rock with many other colonies on it. I will be trying my best to remove it, but whatever is going on still spread even though i removed the birdnest

AM machine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So i think its likely that the brain stung the birdnest and maybe triggered a bacterial infection thats now spreading? Please give me your thoughts. I will be going to my lfs later to pick up some rtn stop and im going to try to get some cipro. What would be the best course of action to keep this from spreading to the rest of the sps? 90% of the coral is very well established and cannot be easily removed without tearing apart the scape, so i need something i can treat in tank

Parameters have been consistent the past few months. These are the most recent results but i will be testing again later today and sent out an icp on monday

Sg 1.024
Temp 78-79
Alk 7.3
Cal 460
Mg 1370
Nitrate 25-30
Phosphates 0.08

AM machine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

Thats where i got the idea for a cipro treatment, lots of good info there.

And part of the problem is its encrusted on a rock with many other colonies on it. I will be trying my best to remove it, but whatever is going on still spread even though i removed the birdnest
uv sterilizer and 30p water change watch your corals in night mode some allow others some do not

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tissue sample under the microscope, any ideas on what they are?

20210506_190845.jpg

20210506_190014.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back