RTN on SPS!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see anything materially amiss. Always a nail biter when making changes to established SPS colonies. Probably a combination of alk and nitrate swings.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing your sump and giving your DT a larger sump shouldn’t change anything, only good things.
Did you test your new water? Aerate it before using?
I recently caused a crash with a high Alkalinity in fresh mixed water for a WC. I didn’t add much salt to the mix, trying to be perfect at 1.026, but unfortunately the KH was over 13 dKH. Yep, 2 cups of salt, even in 45 gal of H2O, makes a big jump in Alkalinity. I’m still recovering, still removing dead corals, still devastated. And it still sucks that I figured out what happened. High nitrates and phosphates didn’t matter with high Alkalinity, but I believe the spike just pushed them from no return. I have stopped STN/RTN, but not this time. Chalices and softies are fine, thriving.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was a DIY sump did you let the silicone fully cure first? And you used aquarium safe silicone?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good point. Silicone with mythical mold additives is not the problem; insufficient cure time is. I always give it at least a week.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other people have different experiences, but in my tanks I've never had an SPS that could survive Alk above 8 for very long. Not sure what the high alk tanks are doing different but if alk is above 8 I would address that before anything else.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back