RTN Spreading To Everything

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 3 large maricultured acros from Liveaquaria. They all succumbed to RTN within days of being added. Ever since then, my formerly healthy acros have begun to die from RTN. They were all fine for months before adding the maricultured colonies. Is my water "infected"? Is there any way to kill off the bacteria that now lives in my tank? 100% water change? Any extreme measure? I feel like I cannot keep acros anymore because now even the ORA aquacultured hardy ones I have are dying :(.

OP
OP
GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALK: stable between 8.3 - 8.9
pH: 8.3 (very stable)
Ca: 480-490
Mg: 1470-1500
Nitrate: stable between 5-15 ppm, water changes when >15 ppm
NH3/NO2: undetectable
SG: Stable at 1.025 (auto top off, so very stable)
Temp: 79.5 - 80.5 (dual heaters on controller, RARELY slips outside this 1 degree margin)
Phosphate: Reading is between the 0 ppm and 0.03 ppm shade on salifert, so between 0-0.03 ppm

OP
OP
GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 Gallon display

Ill also add lighting = 2x Kessil 160we set near %100 percent intensity at 50% color (which I believe is 15K) for 11-12 hours/day, gradual ramping of intensity via kessill controller

Flow= mp 10 100 % intensity + Tunze 6045 100% intensity
HOB fuge w chaeto and various macro w LR
LR sourced from aquaculture (KP Aquatics)
Reef Octopus 90 HOB

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dip or QT the mari stuff? They’re pretty notorious for having pests on them, and you could have introduced something into your tank, or it could just be coincidental.

OP
OP
GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not dip the maricultured acros.... I know I should have from researching after the fact. I am new to keeping SPS and made that mistake from my ignorance. One of the mari acros came to me in the box with skin peeling off, but I assumed it would grow back. Again, beginner ignorance and I now know that I should have never introduced them to my aquarium. I was wondering if a UV sterilizer would help kill off the pests that now populate my reef or if there is any way to control their spread.

As for the above, not sure if it is RTN or another ailment, will post a pic of the acro.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not dip the maricultured acros.... I know I should have from researching after the fact. I am new to keeping SPS and made that mistake from my ignorance. One of the mari acros came to me in the box with skin peeling off, but I assumed it would grow back. Again, beginner ignorance and I now know that I should have never introduced them to my aquarium. I was wondering if a UV sterilizer would help kill off the pests that now populate my reef or if there is any way to control their spread.

As for the above, not sure if it is RTN or another ailment, will post a pic of the acro.

If the tissue was already necrotizing in the bag, then usually little can be done to save it. It’s speculated that RTN is from bacterial infection, so in theory you could have introduced that into your system. But chances are they shipped poorly. Were they kinda washed out or bleached looking when you got them?

OP
OP
GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, they arrived rather dull and with faded, but not necrotic necessarily, areas of tissue. Spotty coloration, uneven polyp extension throughout colonies, etc.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you don’t really know if it’s pests or not . At least until you spot one . there is threads on here dedicated to them . I have 4 times ordered online and never found any thing bad . But it does happen just rarely.
I’ve read that RTN can spread thought out the aquarium, buttttt the acropora must be stressed and or unhealthy . Perhaps you can cut the good off of what’s left to save something good .
If you’re going to dip them a great dip is bayer insect killer ( yes ) read up on it . But with regards to dipping it’s basting that’s more affective than the poison IMO
Good luck

OP
OP
GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics

Acro Death.jpeg

AD2.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

Sick Acro.jpg

OP
OP
GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would dipping my currently unharmed acros be a good idea? I just found the product Seachem Reef Dip. Any other product currently available that might help?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer is more gentle than most reef dips. You can get it at Lowes. I don't use any reef dips unless the corals are super healthy since they can be a bit harsh.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggested dipping only in regards to pests . Basting my be easyer it could blow off the already dead areas I’ve also herd of super glueing the edge of the live flesh to save a RTN coral but I doubt it would help . Some of those pics looked bad ☹️

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps chaswood79 can chime in . he knows of some meds that help with RTN

OP
OP
GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah its bad, I might have to just accept that acros are a no go :(. luckily my montiporas and stylo's seem to be fine but if RTN is indeed bacterial, i dont think theres a way around it. My system is contaminated. Im not going to buy acros for a while, ive lost so much already and theres no point spending money on them at the moment.

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics

Acro Death.jpeg

AD2.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

Sick Acro.jpg

I would completely remove the last coral/last pic, it looks completely dead. I would also remove anything that has lost all its tissue and cut anything off that has lost tissue from the colony. At this point I would say you are at a salvage protocol on those corals. The only one I think has a chance is the first pic, if you cut off the dead branches. No reason to have them decay and foul up your tanks water. It could be something as simple as they died due to stress from shipping. My understanding, from talking to large online coral vendors, the larger frags/colonies have a higher DOA rate than your normal typical frag size. They just don't ship as well. Sorry to say but if it was me, I think I would just remove all those corals, my guy tells me they are goners.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back