RTN questions

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have some questions about RTN - as it appears I now have a frag with it. For background I acquired a nice encrusted millepora about a week ago. Initially it appeared to be doing well and opened up a little bit during the day but more so at night.

In the last few days it had mostly closed up but I figured that might just be acclimation. Last night was the weekly water change scheduled. I changed the water as usual, nothing interesting happened. I dosed .95 ml of silicate as I do every week. I took a peak at the Mille and lo and behold there was a weird gash near its base stretching up the side. Bone was visible through the gash and I thought perhaps it was damaged caused by an invert or fish - but ruled that out.

I realized a short time later it’s probably RTN, and sure enough this morning it’s spread rapidly covering at least 30-40% of the poor little guy.

Anyhoo - on to my questions about RTN - if it is RTN does that mean the next time I get an Acro it’s likely to also die of RTN? Is this a permanent infection that requires I restart the tank? Or is it just ‘more likely’ to encounter RTN in the future? I’ve had growing acro’s before and not had RTN.

After so many issues and a year and half battle with Dino’s I figured I was finally getting back to a growth stage. At this point I’m considering tearing the whole thing down because I’m not interested in yet another battle/invasion/more dead corals. If it’s typically a one off - perhaps I’ll keep moving forward but is this is a ‘once you have RTN your kind of stuck with it’ I think I’m done.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kinda varies. RTN is just a symptom of multiple things. Not a disease itself! Sometimes a coral just gets sick and perishes, without really doing much harm to other corals (minus the stuff the reefer does to try to save it lol)

Other times it can be caused by no biological factor at all (aka massive perameter swings)

But to put your mind at ease, ***usually***

If one sps RTN's i get sad, but get over it and the tank is just fine

If MULTIPLE RTN then you might have a case of that death cycle you experinced

But all in all one piece RTN'ing is not a tank death sentence

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have some questions about RTN - as it appears I now have a frag with it. For background I acquired a nice encrusted millepora about a week ago. Initially it appeared to be doing well and opened up a little bit during the day but more so at night.

In the last few days it had mostly closed up but I figured that might just be acclimation. Last night was the weekly water change scheduled. I changed the water as usual, nothing interesting happened. I dosed .95 ml of silicate as I do every week. I took a peak at the Mille and lo and behold there was a weird gash near its base stretching up the side. Bone was visible through the gash and I thought perhaps it was damaged caused by an invert or fish - but ruled that out.

I realized a short time later it’s probably RTN, and sure enough this morning it’s spread rapidly covering at least 30-40% of the poor little guy.

Anyhoo - on to my questions about RTN - if it is RTN does that mean the next time I get an Acro it’s likely to also die of RTN? Is this a permanent infection that requires I restart the tank? Or is it just ‘more likely’ to encounter RTN in the future? I’ve had growing acro’s before and not had RTN.

After so many issues and a year and half battle with Dino’s I figured I was finally getting back to a growth stage. At this point I’m considering tearing the whole thing down because I’m not interested in yet another battle/invasion/more dead corals. If it’s typically a one off - perhaps I’ll keep moving forward but is this is a ‘once you have RTN your kind of stuck with it’ I think I’m done.
that is not my experience with RTN, if that is what happened. But if one coral getting rtn is enough for you to quit you might as well get it over with lol.

there's only a million reasons a newly aquired Acropora millepora could RTN. especially if it was the first one after a year long biome battle and you do regular things like dosing silicates to your system I assume there's more to the story.

not sure what your looking for but there's no saying for sure if the next coral will get RTN again I don't believe your system has a RTN causing infection even if the next ones suffers the same outcome. it's more than likely a combination of things or the conditions the coral doesn't like.

good luck!

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kinda varies. RTN is just a symptom of multiple things. Not a disease itself! Sometimes a coral just gets sick and perishes, without really doing much harm to other corals (minus the stuff the reefer does to try to save it lol)

Other times it can be caused by no biological factor at all (aka massive perameter swings)

But to put your mind at ease, ***usually***

If one sps RTN's i get sad, but get over it and the tank is just fine

If MULTIPLE RTN then you might have a case of that death cycle you experinced

But all in all one piece RTN'ing is not a tank death sentence
Great thanks - I appreciate it

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know whether that mili was aquacultured or maricultured? Loss rate and mariculture stuff is MUCH higher than captive raised (aquacultured) acros.
Definitely aquacultured and had good encrusting.

The fact that it went so fast leads me to believe that it was RTN. I only had it for 3-4 days before a large gash opened up on the base and up the side. If it was tank parameters I would expect receding at the tips, and that would take a week or two at least.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back