rtn!

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as of this afternoon my nathan green millie was doing fine and actually last couple days has had the best PE I've seen so far. Now just few hours later the base is white and dead. I don't get it. All my lps seem fat and healthy so I don't get why sps seem to give me problems all of a sudden. Isn't good Pe a sign of health and all that?

Last edited by a moderator:

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
supposedly according to calfo constant Pe is due to starving corals so according to him it's not an actual indicator of good coral health, although personally mine seem to have good PE all of the time and they are in pretty good health so I'm not sure what to make of this statement.... but anyways it makes me think maybe your coral could have been starving and tried to give a final shot at feeding before the RTN incident, hence why the PE, you mentioned was the most extended last couple days, but anyways do you feed often? are you an ULNS? if you keep and have other acros successfully and they're all doing fine... then disregard my statement LOL.

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any alk swings or temp swings lately? change in dosing? High water temps, salinity, ph, calcium, Phosphates, etc, etc.? I generally look at alk first then move on down the vast list of reasons why sps can rtn. Good polyp extension is good but sps can still go up like a match if you have an alk swing or low alk.

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was indeed starving , and it is true that PE can be a sign of a coral desperately trying to feed, the coral would also be pale and bleaching if that was the case.

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I guess that would be the more common presentation of starvation..:) I assumed the basics were in check though but then again I never asked hehe...so ....yeah gmoney, describing them would help determine the problem:)

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume that it is from a swing of some kind. ph/temp/alk etc. There just seems to much room for that to happen, given the amount of water you are dealing with. I would suggest holding off on sps til the 150 is more mature, and just keep LPS and softies in the nano.

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx everyone maybe is low nutrients system runs 0 nit other tests all show normal and nothing was changed recently that I know of at least. Could be some swing I can't detect. No other sps in my system exept for the one I just got from bart last week. All lps and softies doing fine. Tank been up since april this year. Thought my system was safe since the milli. Had been doing fine least I thought.

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well that sucks... anywas I suggest trying again with some other acro given the params you mentioned, are all fine. maybe it was just bad luck, some acros are very sensitive to changes? how long have you had it before rtn?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It very well could be the fact of what we were talking about. That it was fragged then transported and in one system, and then moved to yours in such a quick time.

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the frag since 7/30 so almost 3 weeks
.. I had this happen b4 but it was months ago and I had kinda high nitrates like 10-20 at the time.. but now everything has been stable .. I use api tests not the best I know but should b close enough to show some param outta whack. I use to use tap water but that has been months since I quit amd have done several big water changes since but have not done one at least since I got that frag. Could it b still something from residual tap water?

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
speaking of ULNS some of my LPS has sweepers extended and are open for feeding a lot .. even though i feed these things least 2x a week just cause its cool to watch .. but my brain coral and neon candy coral are open a lot and are very open sweepers flying all over and u can even kinda see inside threw the mouth on my neon candy. and sometimes on my brain also they get very fat and wide open .. just thought this was normal .. dunno is this a sign of low nutrients? didnt think id have to worry bout that in such a low vol of water

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're feeding 2x/ week your lps should be fine the extension imo would be due to other factors other than starvation... What kind of filtration are you using? vodka? What are your Ca, alk & mg levels? if you only had the acro for 3 weeks it seems to me it just didn't acclimate to your tank conditions. If you were using tap water it's likely yo don't have a ULNS. Just bc your lps are doing fine in no way means your sps will be fine btw, some lps can tolerate much higher nutrient levels and even actually thrive in those conditions. My suggestion would be to stick to the water changes using good ro/di water!! give the system some time with everything being in check and try again.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back