Rubbermaid 100 gallon stock tank question

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you all recently sold the house and moved the other day and set up all fish and live rock in a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank. For flow I have a mp40 and mp10. I am only able to visit the tank once a week maybe more since it’s set up at my dads house for the time being... my question is will weekly water changes be enough to keep these fish and rock well until we move? I have my apex on the tank and thinking of adding a automatic feeder. Will water changes be enough?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you all recently sold the house and moved the other day and set up all fish and live rock in a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank. For flow I have a mp40 and mp10. I am only able to visit the tank once a week maybe more since it’s set up at my dads house for the time being... my question is will weekly water changes be enough to keep these fish and rock well until we move? I have my apex on the tank and thinking of adding a automatic feeder. Will water changes be enough?
Yes you should be fine. The feeding will be more difficult. Maybe measure out feedings and have you dad feed.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you should be fine. The feeding will be more difficult. Maybe measure out feedings and have you dad feed.
Yeah that was my concern, I’ve been stopping by every other day to feed but it’s been difficult to find time.

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your nitrates, phosphates will probably be crazy high after a while from not removing detritus with a filter sock. you would just have to test and do a proportional water change to remove some. other than that I've done that for 2 moths when I moved. Had it in my dad's house basement while working on the new house. same 100g tub.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your nitrates, phosphates will probably be crazy high after a while from not removing detritus with a filter sock. you would just have to test and do a proportional water change to remove some. other than that I've done that for 2 moths when I moved. Had it in my dad's house basement while working on the new house. same 100g tub.
Okay, planning on 3 months max keeping the mp40 low in tank with high flow to keep it mixed especially for water changes to suck up as much as possible.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
p.s the only problem that we had was the surface of the water being pretty big caused humidity to go through the roof in the basement so a good dehumidifier is a must or thing will get pretty musty.
Good to know thank you!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can set up a small sump with either socks or floss to at least get out the big stuff. Maybe multi stage into the socks, then through a course floss than a fine floss then back to tank. Or a canister filter?

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you setup a skimmer in the tub? A strong skimmer will help a lot with nutrients and improve aeration. You’ll need to put it on a stand.
I was thinking about it I don’t have one but could grab on and make some sort of egg crate shelf.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can set up a small sump with either socks or floss to at least get out the big stuff. Maybe multi stage into the socks, then through a course floss than a fine floss then back to tank. Or a canister filter?
I was trying to make this is as easy as possible I understand that adding a sump would be easy but not sure if I wanna deal with all that since it’s not at my house unfortunately.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been feeding heavy every day for 6+ weeks without a water change with 30 fish. Up to you if you think weekly water changes is worth the cost of a used skimmer.

6384DC6F-B687-496B-9EA9-85E13E7FE0E2.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree, get the skimmer for your future tank 180+ you know you want to oversize a little,put that in there ,only buy one ;)

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine with weekly water changes. The auto feeder is a good idea. I would be concerned with evaporation and rising salinity. It shouldn't be too difficult to set up a diy ATO with a 5g bucket and float switch.
That’s what I hooked up a gravity fed ato with a 5 gallon bucket ha

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could rig up a hob filter. They’re super cheap & would also help with surface agitation. Or a cheap canister filter! Amazon has some for ~$40.
I actually have a large hob filter I could try and rig on there as well.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been feeding heavy every day for 6+ weeks without a water change with 30 fish. Up to you if you think weekly water changes is worth the cost of a used skimmer.

6384DC6F-B687-496B-9EA9-85E13E7FE0E2.jpeg
Got a solid point I’ll look into one!

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree, get the skimmer for your future tank 180+ you know you want to oversize a little,put that in there ,only buy one ;)
Great point sir! Think I’m gonna do this!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to make things to complected....but you could get some cheato make a egg crate box and add a cheap grow bulb above it. could help suck out some N&P.

prob be cheap and easy to do. might have extra egg crate if you add the skimmer anyway?
I also like the HOB filter for a bit of surface movement.
maybe get some covers to keep humility and evap down?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back