Rubbermaid BRUTE Cans

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the planning stages for my first salt water tank in a fish room with 8 FW tanks. Currently my 3 main display tanks are plumbed directly to waste drains and my water supply is filtered and temperature regulated, so I can simply open a valve on the tanks, drain water, close said valve, and turn on water to refill. Clearly, SW won't be quite so simple...

So, I am thinking about water storage and researching best practices. I have heard many people say they use BRUTE cans for storing water and they are reasonably priced. So I just looked at some online and I have a few questions before purchasing. A few seem silly, but I don't know, so I'm asking...
  1. Can these cans be used to "store" salt water? I know people use them to mix their salt water, but I don't know that I have ever read that someone stores water in them.
  2. How long can one safely "store" salt water in any container? I would like to have 20-30 gallons ready at all times, just in case I need it, but how long can salt water be stored?
  3. Can the color of the can affect the water? I would like to be able to make marks on the outside of the can for 5, 10, 15, etc. gallons, but I would need to be able to see through the can to do that, is there any difference in lighter vs. darker colored cans?
  4. Surely someone has experience with the Rubbermaid Dollies made for their cans... Will the dollies hold up under the weight of water in the cans? Or is it better to just set them on the ground and find a different means of moving the water?

5. Are there better, not stupid expensive, options other than Rubbermaid Brute cans? (I don't "need" to be able to move said water storage whether I go with Rubbermaid or not. I have a place I can just set up a few water tanks. I'd just have to buy some more powerful pumps to get water from there to the tanks.)
Thanks! I am sure I'll have more questions as planning continues!

TominiReef250

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a 45 gallon Brute and 35 I believe that's the size. I use the 45 to keep ro/di water in with a power head to keep the water moving. Once I'm ready to mix, I put the amount of water that I'm ready to mix in the 35 can. I only mix what I'm going to use that day. I don't believe in leaving the water mix for a long period of time. Most salt mix recommend you mix and use within 2 hours of mixing. It changes the chemistry.

I believe Brute cans are the cheapest way. You have to make sure what you buy the plastic in which it made of doesn't leak and changes the ro/di water. This happens don't cut too many corners , might bite you in the butt in the end..

This is my take on this subject and things I have learned in this hobby. I have made a lot of mistakes that cost me a lot of money lol.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it can be that easy. Use ro/di water instead of tap, but then you can just drain to the waste drain and have a pump to add mixed salt water.

Search out water mixing stations and you see a lot of cool ideas members here have shared.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The grey Brute cans will leach chemicals that can cause chromosomal damage to fish and possibly humans. The white Brute cans are food safe and totally fine to use.

I use water storage barrels. They are polyethylene based and blue. They're really cheap, often sold as "shipping barrels". I have two 35 gallon barrels I got on eBay for $25 each delivered.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the planning stages for my first salt water tank in a fish room with 8 FW tanks. Currently my 3 main display tanks are plumbed directly to waste drains and my water supply is filtered and temperature regulated, so I can simply open a valve on the tanks, drain water, close said valve, and turn on water to refill. Clearly, SW won't be quite so simple...

So, I am thinking about water storage and researching best practices. I have heard many people say they use BRUTE cans for storing water and they are reasonably priced. So I just looked at some online and I have a few questions before purchasing. A few seem silly, but I don't know, so I'm asking...
  1. Can these cans be used to "store" salt water? I know people use them to mix their salt water, but I don't know that I have ever read that someone stores water in them.
  2. How long can one safely "store" salt water in any container? I would like to have 20-30 gallons ready at all times, just in case I need it, but how long can salt water be stored?
  3. Can the color of the can affect the water? I would like to be able to make marks on the outside of the can for 5, 10, 15, etc. gallons, but I would need to be able to see through the can to do that, is there any difference in lighter vs. darker colored cans?
  4. Surely someone has experience with the Rubbermaid Dollies made for their cans... Will the dollies hold up under the weight of water in the cans? Or is it better to just set them on the ground and find a different means of moving the water?

5. Are there better, not stupid expensive, options other than Rubbermaid Brute cans? (I don't "need" to be able to move said water storage whether I go with Rubbermaid or not. I have a place I can just set up a few water tanks. I'd just have to buy some more powerful pumps to get water from there to the tanks.)
Thanks! I am sure I'll have more questions as planning continues!

1 & 2: You can store saltwater but it can go "stale" and have somewhat altered water chemistry and won't be homogeneously mixed the longer it is stored. Like others have said, most salt mixes advise using the water within two hours of mixing. Most LFS store their mixed water for days but they have internal circulation pumps and are always moving water in and out of the tanks.
3: Get the white one if you can find them and are going to store water in it. You will be better able to see if it is dirty or clean. White will be easier for you to write on as well.
4: The dollies will work well on flat ground, however, with water in the can it is going to get very top heavy and may tip. I'd only use it on the smoothest of concrete so it doesn't catch on anything and also doesn't sink into the flooring like it would with hardwoods/linoleum from the weight of the water.
5: Potable water storage barrels are a good alternative, you will lose the built-in handles on the sides but you could possibly fashion up some sort of DIY handles for them. The storage barrels can also be stored horizontally and can be stored closer together since they are cylinder shape instead of the tapered trash can shape. The reason why most folks use Rubbermaid brute cans is that they are pretty darn tough and last a long time under normal use. They're worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The grey Brute cans will leach chemicals that can cause chromosomal damage to fish and possibly humans. The white Brute cans are food safe and totally fine to use.

I use water storage barrels. They are polyethylene based and blue. They're really cheap, often sold as "shipping barrels". I have two 35 gallon barrels I got on eBay for $25 each delivered.

I just looked up white vs grey Brute cans...both are made from the same Linear Low Density Polyethylene material? HDPE is supposed to be food safe, while virgin LDPE is also usually food safe (used in ketchup bottles, etc...). I get so confused with the food grade safety plastics! I never know which to get...

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using the grey brute trash cans for 7 years never an issue. I’ve never personally stored premixed saltwater just RODI as long as it’s up to temperature I store it for as long as needed. And you will be able to use the same easy water change method I have seen it done on the forums a couple times. Same method you’re using but just with premixed saltwater that’s up to temperature and salinity will work fine.

OP
OP
PaulPerger

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GOOD IDEA! I just found a few on Craigslist for $15 ea.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like what, exactly?

I've used the Grey Brute cans for decades for RO/DI, salt water, limewater, sumps, and refugia. I have 10 of the 44 gallon types in my basement. While that doesn't prove it isn't mutating me or my family, I see no reason to worry about them.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the gray and the wheeled base. I have to take can from kitchen to office and that means going over floor joins and tile and I've never had any tipping issues. I do have to go slow and help can over the joins but never an issue. Some salts cn leave a residue like IO. I store my water, then mix. Sometimes I remove extra water into 5 gal jugs I got on amazon. Other times, I just leave it and use it next time, adding as needed. I heat and run the pump only after mixing but always try to have the can with water at the ready. I have a second can just for rodi water. I fill gallon jugs for topping off smaller tanks. My 5 gal jugs I mix rodi directly to use for top off.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may have changed the plastic. Ten years ago or so my local club had (I forget his name) had a guest speaker who was one of the first to raise captive bred clowns and a few other species. He did a talk about his experiences and some of the pitfalls that he found along the way.

One was that clown larvae are attracted to light and they would literally bash their brains trying to get to anything bright in if not raised in the dark. They started using Brute cans because every reefer uses Brute cans. They found that all of the fish became deformed. They switched to glass tanks painted black and everything was fine. His theory was that something in the grey, not food safe, cans was causing damage to the tiny fish.

There's also been a few other reports from roughly the same time period of studies done on marine life where the scientists used grey Brute cans (like everyone does). I remember reading that chromosomal damage was occurring when the Grey cans were used. The food grade seemed ok.

Again this was roughly ten to twelve years ago. It's possible that Rubbermaid is using the same plastic for their FG (food grade) and non FG cans. Also proving (or disproving) chromosomal damage would probably take a breeder or at the very least some long term studies with controls. Otherwise like most things in this hobby it's heresay and anectodal evidence at best.

Just a few years ago we found out that BPA wasn't good and for a decade (or more) it's what we made baby bottles out of. That entire time everyone thought BPA was totally safe. Now we know it can disrupt quite a bit in a small persons body.

I like to stick with containers made to hold potable water. It's the same price, I'm not reinventing the wheel or trying to put a square peg in a round hole. I never feel safe with those Brute cans. I always feel like it might bend and dump water all over. Polyethylene cans are made to hold water, even high SG water and are as tough, if not more than Brute.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GOOD IDEA! I just found a few on Craigslist for $15 ea.

Best to get new... you never know what had already been stored in those trash cans if purchasing used.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carts that fit directly on the Brute cans are usually around $35 each. Another option that i use is setting the cans on furniture carts... works great and way cheaper!

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a grey one bout a month ago just for ro water and it has a funny smell, what should I do?

Back