Rubbermaid BRUTE Cans

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just starting out with a grey 32 gallon brute and left some salt water mixing for a day with a heater.

The plastic smell emanating from the brute the next day was overwhelming.

I only pre-rinsed the brute with hot water and then RODI.

I’m thinking if there is any danger in using these, it’s at the beginning for those who don’t scrub with soap and rinse a lot.

But I have no evidence to support either. Other reefers seem to be doing well.

Cheers

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is my 2c, I use 3 Black roughneck/ w wheels (el cheapo) for 4 years now never washed em , the things hold up like a tank. I have tons of sensitive corals , and never got any bad water / or ill effects from them. I checked the material data sheet and it appears they use the same goo in all the products , so I wouldnt worry , about 90% of the aquaculture joints grow right in the tubs lolz !!! Dont get me started on the massive systems with tub fuge's . Evidence based is the way to be RP /RHF 100%

parttimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a search for garbage cans. I'm new here and on my second tank. I had my first one about a decade ago and just started my new 120 fish only tank. I picked up an otto can from Home Depot to mix and store my water. I am fighting with a constant ammonia level in my tank. I tested water out of my RO filter, 0, and tested water in the can and it was the same level as my tank. Only thing in the can is a heater, powerhead and mixed water.

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a search for garbage cans. I'm new here and on my second tank. I had my first one about a decade ago and just started my new 120 fish only tank. I picked up an otto can from Home Depot to mix and store my water. I am fighting with a constant ammonia level in my tank. I tested water out of my RO filter, 0, and tested water in the can and it was the same level as my tank. Only thing in the can is a heater, powerhead and mixed water.

Might want to take the heater out of there or find a way to suspend it in the center of the can away from the edges. I've been using the same brute trashcan for well over 2 years and haven't had a single issue, my ammonia is at zero. So either the heater you're using is heating up the sides of the can and causing some leaching, there is mold growing in the can, or the can itself is an issue. It might be worth replacing the can with a food safe one to guarantee no leaching of chemicals into the water.

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just starting out with a grey 32 gallon brute and left some salt water mixing for a day with a heater.

The plastic smell emanating from the brute the next day was overwhelming.

I only pre-rinsed the brute with hot water and then RODI.

I’m thinking if there is any danger in using these, it’s at the beginning for those who don’t scrub with soap and rinse a lot.

But I have no evidence to support either. Other reefers seem to be doing well.

Cheers
Does the water smell? I got a 20g grey one for fresh water from the Home Depot been using it for about a year and no problems or smell.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is an otto can? different from a rubbermaid brute I assume?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else at play here. Rubbermaid garbage cans are widely used for a decade without this problem

parttimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Otto is just an off-brand can:

Ill see if I can figure something out with the heater, the can is empty after my last change so maybe I'll vinegar it and see about suspending it.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Otto is just an off-brand can:

Ill see if I can figure something out with the heater, the can is empty after my last change so maybe I'll vinegar it and see about suspending it.
I’d ditch the Otto can and replace it with a brute on wheels.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the recycle symbol on the Otto to see if it’s safe

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what’s the definitive factual answer here? Is brute can safe? Which color that is good safe? I need one just to mix salt water only. No storage. Can I use any Rubbermaid garbage can? Or it has to be Rubbermaid brute can?

Steve Fast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don't have one in front of me right now, I recall that the label indicated that it was food safe. Not sure if it was a standard code or in words. See

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Rubbermaid roughneck? It is half price compare to brute. Is roughneck ones safe to mix salt water and not for storage?

CowabungaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Brute can is on its way. I've grown tired of filling up 5 gallon pails one at a time for the last 6 years lol. My idea was to plumb a faucet on the Brute can so that i can just fill up the 5 gallon pail from that to lug upstairs for water changes /ATO fill up. Any how-to's out there on what to use to do this? I couldn't find any but was planning on getting just a 1/2" bulkhead and a 90 bend with pipe down to the bottom of the can on the inside, on the outside a simple gate valve and 90 deg bend to pour the water down into the pail. should that work?

Also, I am a bit concerned with where I was planning to store my RO/DI water. The most convenient place would be in the garage. This is a two car garage and I was worried that even though the Brute can would have a lid on it that fumes from the vehicles may contaminate the water. Is this a valid concern? Should I try and route my water line through the wall and into the basement to store the water?

Last edited:

Sablah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don't have one in front of me right now, I recall that the label indicated that it was food safe. Not sure if it was a standard code or in words. See

That link to Rubbermaid's site days there are 2 different brute cans (both come in grey) one is labeled food safe and the other is not.

Sablah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None whatsoever, if you read through Randy holmes farley said that the person who said this to begin with wasn't knowledgeable in plastics and it was just someone's personal theory.
As well as someone in here posted
From Rubbermaid's website concerning their BRUTE containers:
  • Gray, White and Yellow are USDA Meat & Poultry Equipment Group Listed and assist in complying with HACCP guidelines.
  • Certified to NSF Standards #2 and #21

Just go back and read page 2 of this thread
NSF #2 is about how easily it can be cleaned and sanitized, not that its safe to syore food in. #21 addresses specifics of refuse containers.

They sell two types of grey cans and one of them specifically states its certified for meat & poultry ( the food safe one) and the other is not certified for meat and poultry. Both are nsf #2 and #21

Turd Ferguson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a 32G Brute container.

Odd thing though, when I'm making DI water in a separate container the TDS is zero...after sitting in the Brute container for a while, the TDS is 13.

Any idea why?

Thanks

Gordon42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny smell could just be from the plastic itself. I use two 44 gallon gray ones and for whatever they have certain smell in them. I usually do not keep the water in them for than 24 hours before mixing the salt and pumping it into to the take. As long as use washed them with really hot water when you brought them home you should be fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back