Rubbermaid Plastic 150g Tub - Heater Burned Surface Floor - caused toxic odor - Is it still Usable?

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this forum is the right place to ask about burning plastic and RO water contamination?

I accidentally emptied this RO storage tank and somehow left the heater ON. Naturally a small area (a few sq. cm) of the tank's plastic floor deformed and left a raised bubble gum like melt down. I then scaped this small area back flat removing the excess small bits of plastic.

My garage where it is located has a toxic like odor that has filled the air and still hasn't dissipated even after a week. This is a commercial tank and its plastic floor is quite thick (approx 1/4"). After the cleanup, I slowly refilled the 150g tank to see if it still held water. The good news is that it doesn't leak.

I am wondering if anybody has had a similar experience or knows whether it is safe enough to keep using this storage tank? Will the odor that is still in the air contaminate the RO water?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this forum is the right place to ask about burning plastic and RO water contamination?

I accidentally emptied this RO storage tank and somehow left the heater ON. Naturally a small area (a few sq. cm) of the tank's plastic floor deformed and left a raised bubble gum like melt down. I then scaped this small area back flat removing the excess small bits of plastic.

My garage where it is located has a toxic like odor that has filled the air and still hasn't dissipated even after a week. This is a commercial tank and its plastic floor is quite thick (approx 1/4"). After the cleanup, I slowly refilled the 150g tank to see if it still held water. The good news is that it doesn't leak.

I am wondering if anybody has had a similar experience or knows whether it is safe enough to keep using this storage tank? Will the odor that is still in the air contaminate the RO water?
Like a black 150g stock tank? If so, I burned mine with an 800w titanium heater and it is my sump for a large system with sensitive nems and other critters. Had a nasty smell as well. I just ran more carbon, did a few larger water changes and no issues.

If this is used for storage only, A good rinse and it should be fine. The smell is going to linger for a while. Anything like carpet, rags, towels, whatever in the garage may have held onto a bit of it. My fish barn stunk like burnt plastic for 3 weeks, but no issues.

Upvote 0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a black plastic stock Rubbermaid 150g tank. Any idea if the new RO water stored in it will be affected?
I have no idea on that. Rodi water easily absorbs things, so it may be. When it happened to me, it was an active tank. Just changed about 50 of the 500 gallons of water and ran carbon. No issues with my nems, sps or nps corals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rst

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea on that. Rodi water easily absorbs things, so it may be. When it happened to me, it was an active tank. Just changed about 50 of the 500 gallons of water and ran carbon. No issues with my nems, sps or nps corals.
Thanks for sharing your experience and opinions. You have given me some comfort. I am Just a little worried about the open RO water in the tank absorbing the noxious air. I may try to place a pound of activated carbon in the tank and a circulation pump to move the water towards the (bag) of carbons direction

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what the levels of concern should be for thermally decomposed plastic, but smell is not a good gauge of toxicity, and GAC should bind most decomposition products.

Upvote 0

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 70 gallon stock tank as part of my sump system. I have my three heaters for the system in here. Can heaters not rest on the floor of these for chance of them melting through even with active water running through them?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rst

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No of course not, your heaters will NOT melt the plastic bottoms UNLESS you accidentally have your heaters turned ON when there is NO or very little water in the tank. As long as your heater's elements are completely covered in water, you will be fine. Make sure your heaters are unplugged if you ever lower your sump water to less than 1" (for cleaning or maintenance.)

Upvote 0

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No of course not, your heaters will NOT melt the plastic bottoms UNLESS you accidentally have your heaters turned ON when there is NO or very little water in the tank. As long as your heater's elements are completely covered in water, you will be fine. Make sure your heaters are unplugged if you ever lower your sump water to less than 1" (for cleaning or maintenance.)
Got it, just making sure.

Upvote 0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 67 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back