ruby red dragonet?

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a ruby red one week ago about 1 inch in size. When introduced into the tank she went into the rocks. I have a lock of caves and crevices for her to hide in. She was nipping at the rock eating copa pods which are flourishing in my tank as they are covering the glass even. So she came out the next day and have not seen her since. Are Ruby Dragonets shy and stay in the rocks, maybe new fish really shy? I have seen no sign of her what so ever. Only other fish are two bullet hole clowns, one fire fish, and a cleaner shrimp.

Last edited:

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time, that’s a small fish. Sounds like there is plenty of food. Probably has a secure spot with lots to eat.

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ruby reds are shy but not so much I can't find them in my 30 gallon. I'd stand back about 3 feet and to the side and just watch for 10 minutes. The red is hard to miss. I've been trying to get a picture of mine but they bolt if I get too close to the tank. I can always get a good look (I keep track of my gravid female) but she doesn't hold still long enough for a picture.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine a couple of weeks back and I noticed that he mostly stayed within the rocks rarely venturing out in the open. At that tome he was the only fish in the tank. I added a dragonface pipe and only then he started venturing out into the open. He likes to chill with the pipefish.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on it. A Mandarin of that size can starve quickly if the pod population wasn't well established.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back