Runaway anemone

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have my BTE that has been on the run for past 2 days. Keeps going in circles around a rock. At times it would attach to the other BTE. is this normal?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is common for some to move a lot.
Very blue picture. I dont know what you are trying to show us.

sim2142

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s normal for anemones to move around until they find a place to settle, even then they still spontaneously decide to move sometimes.

They lack brains, memory and pattern recognition so you can assume that it doesn’t even realise it is travelling in circles around the same rock haha.

As long as it looks healthy and isn’t gaping it should be fine

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! I ret dizzy just watching it. Haha

Ok that anemone is not attached. If so that is not normal no matter what other say and is horrible advice.
I am guessing people did not even look at the video.
Also what is a BTE? I cant tell from the video what that is . To me it looks like possible a LTA.
If it is a LTA it needs a deep sandbed and buries it foot in the sand.
A anemone will detach if it does not like the conditions and try to drift to a new spot. Dangerous because it can get into a power head.
Also can detach because the foot is damaged. Sometimes they detach because they are stressed and to weak to hold on.

If we can figure out what kind of anemone it is we can help better. For example a LTA you can dig a hole in the sandbed. If it is not a lta you may have to place it on a rock and turn down the flow till it attaches.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend turning the flow off and setting the nem on a rock. If it is healthy, it should attach it's foot to the rock pretty quick (within minutes) then you can turn the flow back on. from there it should move along the rocks and glass until it finds a spot it likes. It is typically not advisable to allow it to blow around in the current.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s normal for anemones to move around until they find a place to settle, even then they still spontaneously decide to move sometimes.

They lack brains, memory and pattern recognition so you can assume that it doesn’t even realise it is travelling in circles around the same rock haha.

As long as it looks healthy and isn’t gaping it should be fine
I think he means BTA, though it does not look like a BTA to me. Hard to say with so much blue light.

sim2142

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that anemone is not attached. If so that is not normal no matter what other say and is horrible advice.
Also what is a BTE? I cant tell from the video what that is . To me it looks like possible a LTA.
A anemone will detach if it does not like the conditions and try to drift to a new spot. Dangerous because it can get into a power head.
Also can detach because the foot is damaged. Sometimes they detach because they are stressed and to weak to hold on.

If we can figure out what kind of anemone it is we can help better. For example a LTA you can dig a hole in the sandbed. If it is not a lta you may have to place it on a rock and turn down the flow till it attaches.
My bad, I assume like the first commenter I can only see a still image which has heavy blue light in it, not a video. The media must be in a format not supported on iPhone.

That is not a happy nem for it to be detached.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for the heads up. I was told its a bubble tip.heres a clear pic. It was holding on and then couple days ago ot started to go around and around. Its still healthy. Eating and all. The stump looks intact and not damaged.
Screenshot_20210127-090619_Gallery.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s not a BTA or LTA. It’s a very bleached condy anemone, which means it’s unhealthy

Yea still hard to tell but it does look like a Cody in the pic above.

I also agree it looks bleached but pictures can be deceiving.

Fact that it still has the strength to eat is a good sign. it means it still has the strength to produce nematocysts.

It should be on a rock. So turn off the flow and see if it will attach to a rock.

Still a reason it detached and needs to be found out.
Is the tank new?
High nitrates?
Lighting.

@OrionN

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lkemja

Lkemja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea still hard to tell but it does look like a Cody in the pic above.

I also agree it looks bleached but pictures can be deceiving.

Fact that it still has the strength to eat is a good sign. it means it still has the strength to produce nematocysts.

It should be on a rock. So turn off the flow and see if it will attach to a rock.

Still a reason it detached and needs to be found out.
Is the tank new?
High nitrates?
Lighting.
Tank is 7m old or older. Water parameters are all in range. Temp is 77. The only thing I can think of is the water flow.i will turn it down. The anemone has purple tip. lighting i do blue light all night and most of day. Reg blue and white for 2hrs and another 2hrs off

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 7m old or older. Water parameters are all in range. Temp is 77. The only thing I can think of is the water flow.i will turn it down. The anemone has purple tip. lighting i do blue light all night and most of day. Reg blue and white for 2hrs and another 2hrs off
What are all your parameters and what lighting do you have ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back