Running Fuge Light At Intervals?

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I just wondering if it's ok to run my Fuge lighting at intervals ( 3 hours on 30 to 60 min off to give the light some time to cool off), I haven't seen this type of lighting schedule however I feel it may be more effective and allows the light some time to cool down. Let me know your thoughts and whether or not it is ok to do this. BTW I am trying to grow Cheato, my light is a Kessil H380 grow light and I am trying to make the refugium my primary source of nutrient export. I also have a lot of flow in the Fuge to prevent detritus build up and there is a lot of turnover in the Sump/Fuge chamber. Thank you!

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal feeling is that it’s best to mimic nature as much as possible. The sun doesn’t shine in 3 hour increments, so I would personally go with one photo period per day. That said, living things are adaptable and I imagine that chaeto would still grow with multiple photo periods like that, but I don’t really think it would grow any better.

As far as cooling off the light, I’m not sure that would really happen with what you describe. I suspect that the light would reach it’s operating temperature within about 15 or 30 minutes, so I don’t think that 3 hours on and 30 minutes off would really allow the light to run any cooler. Arguably that my be worse for the light as multiple heating and cooling cycles would probably just cause additional stress.

SPSlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use chaeto and GFO as my only source of export (no mechanical at all) and it has been great to me. I have found the most success lighting schedule wise was running it for no more than 10 hours and off cycle of the display. That keeps your power loading and heat down while not turning your light on and off. Generally the more you turn something on and off the more wear and tear IMO. Also, just a tip tumbling the Chaeto is super effective. My tank isnt near the quality of @Brett S but some people have all the vision.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lil' RegalReefster

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thx, I will try doing a 10 - 12 hour photoperiod instead, prob. at night and I do try and keep the Cheato tumbling. Thx for the advice very much appreciated

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reverse photoperiod, on a continuous basis, is the well documented methodology.

It's also recommended that macro algae have a period of no light each day for a continuous period of around 10-12 hours minimum, as during this period it repairs itself (simplistic take on what it's doing, but thats my understanding).

I'm currently running for 11 hours at night, starting after my DT lights go out. This helps to maintain my PH, my day to night PH shift is 0.1.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 47 43.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 50 46.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back