Running RODI and drain lines through my exterior wall...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We're currently living in a hotel and waiting on the repairs in our house to be completed (see the last post I made in my build thread to learn more about that ordeal). However, this has given me time to think and plan for the set up of the new tank. We have a water spicket just outside our dining room, so I'm thinking I'd like to run the feed line for my RODI unit through the exterior wall into our dining room behind the tank equipment cabinet. I'll mount the RODI unit on the inside of the cabinet for easy access and feeding the AWC system and ATO.

I'm also thinking I'd like to run a drain line out the exterior wall for the waste water line of the RODI and for the drain of my AWC. Now...I have NEVER done anything like this before, so I need some help on how to accomplish these things. Can you guys help me out? What are the questions I'm not asking that should be asked? What are the things I'll need? I'm thinking this won't be too hard...amirite?

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?!? Are you talking about feeding off the outside spigot then running it back through the wall (from the outside to the inside), or are you talking about teeing off of the existing plumbing inside the wall and bringing a new spigot to the equipment cabinet?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a problem in the winter.
I run the rodi waste out to the garden, but have to blow it out after each use in the winter, blue in the face.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done easily enough. I would enclose the spigot and tubing in some kind of box. Sunlight is not good at all for plastic.

The drain line, you could even run to the garden to repurpose the water rather than just dump it down the drain.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion but since you're in a new house, why not have a plumber come run a new line over to where you want it with a spigot inside. From your build thread it sounds like this could be the perfect opportunity to set it up real nice while they're refurbishing the walls. The waste line is easy to handle, especially since we don't freeze here in the winter.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Might be a problem in the winter.
I run the rodi waste out to the garden, but have to blow it out after each use in the winter, blue in the face.
We don't get to freezing temperatures here, so I don't *think* it'll be an issue.
It can be done easily enough. I would enclose the spigot and tubing in some kind of box. Sunlight is not good at all for plastic.
I was thinking about doing something like this. Maybe some kind of insulation would work?
The drain line, you could even run to the garden to repurpose the water rather than just dump it down the drain.
We have a few fruit trees in the backyard. I was thinking about maybe running the waste water drain to one of them.
Just my opinion but since you're in a new house, why not have a plumber come run a new line over to where you want it with a spigot inside. From your build thread it sounds like this could be the perfect opportunity to set it up real nice while they're refurbishing the walls. The waste line is easy to handle, especially since we don't freeze here in the winter.
I wish I could, but 1) it's a rented house, so I don't want to do any major re-plumbing and 2) it's likely to be much pricier than what I'm thinking at present. IF we eventually buy this house, I might go a permanent route. I'm thinking running these lines through the wall should be simple enough that I can just do some basic repair to revert it if/when we ever move.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm thinking the waste water from RODI could water our orange tree, but I'm a little less sure about what to do with the AWC waste water drain. Any suggestions?

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could, but 1) it's a rented house
I would probably talk to the owner of the property first.

Another option if it by a window.. You could redo the screen so you had a a small opening...and then put a thick piece of plexiglass to fill the "air gap" ... im thinking about doing the same thing .. I live about an hour south of you so temp wize I think it would be fine.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would probably talk to the owner of the property first.
That part is already done. I've got permission to make alterations to the house. That's not an issue. I just want to be sure I do it in a way that's easily reversed in the future and that isn't going to do any damage.

Unfortunately, no windows on the wall I need to pass the lines through.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't get to freezing temperatures here, so I don't *think* it'll be an issue.

I was thinking about doing something like this. Maybe some kind of insulation would work?

We have a few fruit trees in the backyard. I was thinking about maybe running the waste water drain to one of them.

I wish I could, but 1) it's a rented house, so I don't want to do any major re-plumbing and 2) it's likely to be much pricier than what I'm thinking at present. IF we eventually buy this house, I might go a permanent route. I'm thinking running these lines through the wall should be simple enough that I can just do some basic repair to revert it if/when we ever move.
Brain perceived Ontario, ca....

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back