Running skimmer line outside ideas?

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out a way to run skimmer line outside without drilling straight through. What have you done?

I have a window right behind the tank so was thinking of using something like below? But the whole is way too big so trying to figure a way for close it up
FB3A2A6B-6433-4677-84C4-8E3DACB93AB5.png

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you in regards to not wanting to drill into any walls. I placed some "cut to size" packing foam block at the bottom of the window and closed it on top and wedged a piece of PVC above to maintain constant pressure from above. Drilled some under-sized holes and ran line through making sure to provide a tight seal.

Window Skimmer Input DIY 4.jpg

Window Skimmer Input DIY 3.jpg

The last picture shows it from the outside, and one can see what daily UV exposure has done to the foam block from the exterior. I plan on cutting a new piece soon to replace it.
Window Skimmer Input DIY 1.jpg

Been happy with it, it was cheap, provides a good seal from weather, so far kept critters from intruding, and not at all hard. It's hokey, but worked. ;Wacky:)

Note: Now looking at it all, I'm thinking I should clean it up a bit and dress it all up to look more normal...oh well.

OP
OP
P

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you in regards to not wanting to drill into any walls. I placed some "cut to size" packing foam block at the bottom of the window and closed it on top and wedged a piece of PVC above to maintain constant pressure from above. Drilled some under-sized holes and ran line through making sure to provide a tight seal.

Window Skimmer Input DIY 4.jpg

Window Skimmer Input DIY 3.jpg

The last picture shows it from the outside, and one can see what daily UV exposure has done to the foam block from the exterior. I plan on cutting a new piece soon to replace it.
Window Skimmer Input DIY 1.jpg

Been happy with it, it was cheap, provides a good seal from weather, so far kept critters from intruding, and not at all hard. It's hokey, but worked. ;Wacky:)

Note: Now looking at it all, I'm thinking I should clean it up a bit and dress it all up to look more normal...oh well.

I like that idea! I would probably do the same as you except the wife would not be happy with that look

Back