Running the Sump Hot

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having my 220 for over four years, I just realized the temperature difference between the sump and the DT. I had my hand in a 78 degree tank, then put it into the 220 DT and WOW what a difference!

I put a probe in the DT, and sure enough, only 74-75 degress. So I bumped the temperature regulator up to 81 yesterday, and the DT is hovering around 76. I'll monitor it for a day or two and maybe increase the sump temperature a degree a week and see what happens.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my heaters in the return section of the sump and the temp probe in the overflow section. So in theory, the temp in the tank should match what the controller is set for. Maybe I'll check just to be sure.

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my heaters in the return section of the sump and the temp probe in the overflow section. So in theory, the temp in the tank should match what the controller is set for. Maybe I'll check just to be sure.

That's pretty much how I had it, the probe at the intake of the sump, and the heaters in the next chamber. I suspect the heat from chamber 2 was influencing chamber 1. I'll put the probe into the refugium tank, which is a separate tank and receives water from the non-siphon overflow line, and see what happens!

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone test out their large tanks for this? I have random cool spots in my 220, I never noticed this issue on the 120, so I suspect it is just a size and flow issue.

Raising my sump temperature up to 79 brought the cool spots up to 76 minimum. I had a couple power heads die as well, so I have replaced them, and am adding another to help with any low flow areas. I'll test that out and report back in a few weeks!

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I found the source of the problem. The sensor needed to be calibrated. Apparently after several years of use, the temperature accuracy drifts a bit (a degree a year, perhaps)...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back