Rust on mp40qd shaft?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal to get rust on the shaft of a mp40qd? I have it on both of mine
d7712c52275233de114c8a7ef0849f19.jpg

f17fe752b20adeb4447a5db5fe1dc843.jpg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that happen on a couple old MP10's and an older MP40 westside too. I ended up replacing them as I wasn't the original owner of any of them.
I have heard that if you contact Ecotech, you MAY be offered a discount on a replacement wetside.

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any risk or negative effect of a tiny bit of rust in the tank?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be yes. Metals in general are a bad idea because of leaching. There have been many a thread where someone's tank was going/went sideways with no apparent reason only to find a pump, shaft, magnet was rusting and leaching metals into the tank causing a crash.

Not to say that a bit of rust from a prop shaft is going to nuke your tank, but is it worth the risk? For me, spending a few bucks replacing the wetside made me sleep better knowing the $$$$$$$$$$$$ (yea, probably enough dollar signs) that I wouldn't have to worry about mysterious deaths..

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like ndrwater I've had that happen on two of my older MP10s where the ceramic coating cracked/degraded. I took them out of service once that happened and now have spare impellers and screens. o_O

I did notice some STN in my montis the last time I went between pump cleaning disassembling. Could be related or not, but I wasn't going to put it back in.

Reefnub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened to me too on both my mp40qds.
Contact Ecotech and they should warranty it.

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just a few things first. The shafts don't actually contain any metals that are toxic this has been confirmed. However they are Very good at drawing elements from the water depending on the age of the tank,rock and salt used these elements can vary.

Does it wipe away when doing monthly cleaning routine? If so elements attracted from the water.

Are the Wetside cleaned on a regular basis? Have you noticed cracks in the ceramic?

If the ceramic covering has clearly broken (I have seen some pictures with bits missing) but the elements till wipe off it's from the water...

Now if it doesn't just wipe away and the wetsides haven't been cleaned in some time those elements will cause the shaft to rust in any case.

Contact Ecotech and ask nicely. I've seen them replace wetsides over the years even outside of warranty depending on the care taken and how quickly the issue was spotted... if you haven't cleaned your Wetside in a few years they may push back... I've also noticed a trend to offering discount against a new Wetside as well so that's an option.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did contact ecotech last night to see what they say

I clean the powerheads every 1-2 months No cracks that I could see

It seems to come off a little bit from thee ceramic but takes considerable scrubbing/picking at it

The wet pump have only been in the tank for about a year so they are still "new" ish :)

Reefinometry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've has this happen on older models but have not seen evidence of this on my quietdrive

Clownman727

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it happens to all of them and ecotech doesn't know why.

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said it will not leach or put anything harmful into the tank

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never noticed this on my older version mp40. I would assume the newest QD models were upgraded. How can a pump that demands a higher price tag rust? That's a little concerning and the sight of anything rust colored around my reef makes me shake in my boots.

Back