Rust ? What do you think

bta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone new to the forum hope you can help. I thought I would give my sump a clean out as I was struggling with nitrates.
And came across this on all the live rock in sump . I have fish and several bta and had no problems. As soon as I add even the easier to keep corals candy canes and Duncan's within weeks they start to go down hill. All parameters are good but nitrates at around 15.

Any ideas ? Thanks

IMG20240224184224.jpg IMG20240224184155.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone new to the forum hope you can help. I thought I would give my sump a clean out as I was struggling with nitrates.
And came across this on all the live rock in sump . I have fish and several bta and had no problems. As soon as I add even the easier to keep corals candy canes and Duncan's within weeks they start to go down hill. All parameters are good but nitrates at around 15.

Any ideas ? Thanks

IMG20240224184224.jpg IMG20240224184155.jpg
If the sump is exposed to light, its likely a photosynthetic organism.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP, your best bet is to send out an ICP test with an ICP test kit provider (not ICP analysis) and it’ll tell you everything that is in your water, that way you know for sure.

I will agree though that this doesn’t look like rust - are you dosing anything?

OP
OP
B

bta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP, your best bet is to send out an ICP test with an ICP test kit provider (not ICP analysis) and it’ll tell you everything that is in your water, that way you know for sure.

I will agree though that this doesn’t look like rust - are you dosing anything?
Hi thanks for the reply not dosing anything other than ca mg and kh all redsea products I have rowaphos in high flow area at the other end of the sump nowhere near the rock. Another thing the rock doesn't smell like live rock .... It's not rite instinct tells me

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for the reply not dosing anything other than ca mg and kh all redsea products I have rowaphos in high flow area at the other end of the sump nowhere near the rock. Another thing the rock doesn't smell like live rock .... It's not rite instinct tells me
Did you get the rock used from another hobbyist?

OP
OP
B

bta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the rock used from another hobbyist?
No started off with dry rock it's been in sump for 5 years but started to lose coral so cleaned sump out and all rock was the same and it has a metallic smell to it I have removed all of it now see if things improve

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No started off with dry rock it's been in sump for 5 years but started to lose coral so cleaned sump out and all rock was the same and it has a metallic smell to it I have removed all of it now see if things improve
Very odd

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I agree all gone now what do you guys and girls recommend to replace the rock I've taken out of the sump
Nothing. You don’t really need rock in your sump.

OP
OP
B

bta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing. You don’t really need rock in your sump.
Oh rite sorry with me taking about 15kg of rock out I thought this would impact my biological filter so was wondering if if I should replace it with new rock ? However thinking about it now this may well take everything out of whack and starting the whole cycling process again

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back