Rust!?

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the original thread. Long story short, shrimp were dying and I could NOT find the culprit.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/shrimp-dying.297948/

I think I have just realized a very stupid and beginner mistake I have made... This never crossed my mind.

So, I had been using a metal turkey baster to blow off my rock and stir up my sand every now and then in my 29g (where I kept losing shrimp) until I got my diamond Goby which keeps my sand nice and turned. I just went to clean it, assuming it was stainless steel or something and couldn't rust, and there was rust inside... Could this be the elusive killer of my shrimp!?!? It would make sense that ONLY shrimp were dying.

What really made this click in my head was the fact that I JUST used the baster to replenish water that I had lost while acclimating a new fish in my 10g, And I just found my peppermint shrimp dead about 8 hours later.

I feel so stupid and guilty. Are my two hermits in danger? Is my new Rainford Goby in danger? He's just been chilling next to one of the live rocks since I put him in, but I assumed that was just new tank shyness.

IMG_3103.JPG

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned pretty fast that stainless steel doesn't stay stainless steel when it comes in contact with sea salt. From what I've understood, what typically makes SS rust resistant is chromium. Chromium, nickel and manganese are a few of the metals in SS. I *think* I read that nickel is toxic. I'd also wonder where the chromium went and if that's toxic.

Err on the side of caution. Ditch the SS

How old is your tank?
Have you been keeping a close watch on your water parameters?
When things like shrimp die, I immediately check my ammonia and nitrites.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned pretty fast that stainless steel doesn't stay stainless steel when it comes in contact with sea salt. From what I've understood, what typically makes SS rust resistant is chromium. Chromium, nickel and manganese are a few of the metals in SS. I *think* I read that nickel is toxic. I'd also wonder where the chromium went and if that's toxic.

Err on the side of caution. Ditch the SS

How old is your tank?
Have you been keeping a close watch on your water parameters?
When things like shrimp die, I immediately check my ammonia and nitrites.

If you saw in the original thread, the head scratcher was that all parameters were fine. Ammonia and nitrite were always at 0. My 29g is 8 months old. The NUVO 10 is new. Only a couple months.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody please help me out. Bump bump

What are you looking for help about? What is killing the shrimp? Could it be the baster? Maybe but possibly not. Not using a metal baster is a good idea. Doing some water changes and running some GAC, polyfilter, and/or cuprisorb would not hurt.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned pretty fast that stainless steel doesn't stay stainless steel when it comes in contact with sea salt. From what I've understood, what typically makes SS rust resistant is chromium. Chromium, nickel and manganese are a few of the metals in SS.
This is absolutely correct. Stainless steel can also contain low levels of copper.

There are specialty grades of stainless steel that are designed for use in ocean water but the vast majority are not.

+2 on GAC and Poly Filter

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you tried adding a little crushed coral to your filter to raise calcium? Could that be the issue?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried adding a little crushed coral to your filter to raise calcium? Could that be the issue?
crushed coral wont dissolve enough in the Ph's we keep to add calcium in any noticeable amounts. Ca levels should not effect shrimp.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! Just so coincidental that just hours after using the baster for the first time on the NUVO 10, the shrimp was found dead and uninjured. And I was using that same baster A LOT when I kept losing Shrimp, also uninjured, as all parameters were steady and fine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned pretty fast that stainless steel doesn't stay stainless steel when it comes in contact with sea salt.

Depends on the grade. I used float switches with stainless steel (316) arms for 20 years with no apparent degradation or reef tank issues. :)

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton's "Detox" product plus a big water change can be very helpful for dealing with excess toxic metals.

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the grade. I used float switches with stainless steel (316) arms for 20 years with no apparent degradation or reef tank issues. :)

Well yea, LOL. But your average kitchen utensil is not typically made of high grade stainless steel. Which is what I was using. :)

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would if in your shoes hold some value to your findings
Given the fact that you are using that SS kitchen utinsil which is likely made of very low grade SS and just coated more likely and rusted.
Could this be your only problem, yes it can, you could also have some other issue but ruling out one thing should help solve your questions.

High grade stainless such as rod holders or bow rails on my offshore boat will start to have rust if not kept clean and protected with polish/ cleaners.
These are solid stainless products that drain the deepest wallets and still will get rusted when subjected to ocean water or salt spray.

I would eliminate that tool, trash can dude!
Then do 50% or larger water changes on both tanks.
Allow some time to pass, add another shrimp and let time tell you if there are any other issues you need to explore
Good luck and happy reefing
BluewaterLa / Mike

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would if in your shoes hold some value to your findings
Given the fact that you are using that SS kitchen utinsil which is likely made of very low grade SS and just coated more likely and rusted.
Could this be your only problem, yes it can, you could also have some other issue but ruling out one thing should help solve your questions.

High grade stainless such as rod holders or bow rails on my offshore boat will start to have rust if not kept clean and protected with polish/ cleaners.
These are solid stainless products that drain the deepest wallets and still will get rusted when subjected to ocean water or salt spray.

I would eliminate that tool, trash can dude!
Then do 50% or larger water changes on both tanks.
Allow some time to pass, add another shrimp and let time tell you if there are any other issues you need to explore
Good luck and happy reefing
BluewaterLa / Mike
Pretty much. Stainless Steel AISI/SAE Grade 316 is considered marine grade and will hold up fairly well near salt water if properly maintained. ASTM does have a specification for a true marine grade stainless steel but it is incredibly expensive due to the high molybdenum content.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back