rusty angelfish questions

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so question for the people out there. i have a 50 gallon tank and 20 gallon sump. its a mixed reef mainly lps and anemones. my current stock is
2 purple firefish
2 ocellaris clownfish
a stripped blenny
a hi fin goby
and lastly a rusty angelfish.
so quick story the other day i noticed every fish but the clowns and angelfish were hiding. i was doing some work in the tank and took a chance and removed the angelfish out of curiosity since he seems to be a little aggressive. he was in the sump for about two days in the hopes that i could put him back and lower some of the aggression. the time he was in the sump, every fish was out and about in the main tank and i loved the look of seeing every other fish happily hanging out and not darting into their hole when the angelfish came around. the question is should i completely remove the angelfish? i really like the look of him and he was meant to be my "centerpiece". but most of the time when he swims around the other fish dart into their holes. i have a chance to remove him from the tank but i also dont know what i can do to replace his presence. do i go with some smaller fish or try another centerpiece fish. any suggestions are welcome

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HI,poss switch out for coral beauty,flame,flameback,angel ;) be sure to qt,better safe than sorry,happy reefing:)

OP
OP
Maui The God

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,poss switch out for coral beauty,flame,flameback,angel ;) be sure to qt,better safe than sorry,happy reefing:)
ive had flame angels efore and they were always chill never had issues with them. on this tank i wanted to something different so i tried the rusty.

OP
OP
Maui The God

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in your opinions here should i try a different angelfish? can i get away with a small tang like a yellow since i do have a tank to rehome him to when he grows..i know tnag police, but i wouldnt do it if i didnt have an option to rehome it to a bigger tank. i was also thinking possibly copperband butterfly. my tank is seeded with pods and ive had good success with them before. again i have a tank i can rehome him to once he grows. but in my experienc etheyre super chill once eating

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
tomini tang???

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
normally always skiddish ,do not see any fish in tank would be aggressive to :)

OP
OP
Maui The God

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do a tang if your already worried about aggression. Copperband and any of the butterflies are pretty big for a 50gal tank. I would stick to the dwarf angels, or consider wrasses.
yea i was worried about size of the copperband. i know i could rehome him i just dont know how quickly they grow.
ive considered wrasse too. ive had experience with the Melanurus and lubbocks before

OP
OP
Maui The God

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright so after some consideration, i can get the angelfish out and rehomed. question is what should i replace it with? so ill take some input here.
if possible a christmas wrasse(Halichoeres claudia) and/or Melanurus Wrasse(Halichoeres melanurus)
if possible with either
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse(Paracheilinus carpenteri)
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse(Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse(Cirrhilabrus rubeus)

the thought is to essentially have two wrasse because im thinking three would cause aggression. correct me if im wrong. in my previous research i think any of these can go together. now in my experience with the melanurus wrasse it is aggressive eater. not towards tank mates but swims fast getting food. is that true to be with the christmas wrasse or any others? i think my first choices would be the christmas and captenters flasher. as i typed this i just watched the angelfish chase my banggai cardinal for legit no reason. so looks like im going to catch him and place him in the sump for now

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s obviously intimidating others and needs to go
Kole eye tang would work:
Algae eater
Nice color
Does not bother coral

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back