Rusty's Reef

rusty97

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 7, 2010
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Commerce Twp., MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 180 running for almost a year now and thought I'd post some of the build photos. Here are some showing the build as it progressed.

View attachment 15245 View attachment 15246 View attachment 15247 View attachment 15250 View attachment 15251
2 - Copy.JPG
3 - Copy.JPG
DSC00521.jpg
DSC00524.jpg
1 - Copy.JPG
 
Last edited:
About a month ago, I had a unique opportunity to get some new led lights. A friend I work with has a brother in China that works for a company that makes the many versions of the 120w led lights out there. I was able to talk with him and customize them to my liking. I went with a 14k look (1:1) ratio of white and blue leds. Added 60 Degree optics around the outer rim. I've had them running for about a month or so and the results are fantastic. I did some PAR readings and this is how they came out....

Light at 5.5" above water:
At the surface = 1320
12" below water = 320
16" below water = 200
22" below water = 170 (Sandbed)

Light at 8" above water:
At the surface = 840
12" below water = 240
16" below water = 160
22" below water = 120 (Sandbed)

Light at 10" above water:
At the surface = 620
12" below water = 200
16" below water = 140
22" below water = 110 (Sandbed)

Those are pretty good readings. Better than I expected. All I can say is that I've had a Idaho Grape coral color up more than ever, a Garf Bonsai that I thought was pretty much dead show polyp extension and new growth. All of my Corals have reacted really well so I'm very happy with them. I'll try to post some pics this weekend.

Here are some photos...
DSC00750.jpg
DSC00751.jpg
DSC00746.jpg
DSC00747.jpg
DSC00722.jpg


I've also gone with the vodka dosing/MB7 method with great results. Totally kicked butt on my hair algae problem!!

Thanks,
Steve
 
Last edited:
Looking good, Steve! I have to stop by one of these days and check out the LED's. Im glad that the MB7/Vodka is working out well for you. :D
 
Thanks Sonny. You're welcome to come over anytime, just let me know when you're in the area. I'm really happy with the LED's so far and the MB7/Vodka has worked out pretty well. I may go with the Bio-pellets down the road though. I like the idea of setting it and just letting it go.

- Steve
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new