?s on Black Saddle Clown "Pair"?

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 BS CLowns for a looong time, they were a pair in another tank and about a yr after being introduced to my 8' tank, one went to the left side the other to the right, they both were on the right for a long time and one day one wondered over to the left side of the tank, wich is divided by a piece of acrylic with slits all over it like an overflow box, he went and never came back.

I want to sell them and have some interst but have no I dea what they are worth and if they will be a pair again?

What do ya'll think?

Carolina Frags

Fragging for a Living
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price depends on if they are a pair or mated pair?

When you bought them was it a pair or mated pair?

One reason they could be split is that they are both females.How big where they when you got them?Alot of people sell them as a pair which really means you get 2 clowns.

Just my thoughts.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, it also depends if either one has changed from male to female then they can't change back to male. That is the general rule although under specific circumstances in the wild there have been reports of Females changing back to males.....But not in the captive environment. If they have been split up for to long I would bet that the one that was male has changed to female so now you would have 2 females and that don't make for a pair..........

OP
OP
BigBadZoaDaddy

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were full grown good size clowns 4+", why would the Male after so long just decide to change to Female?

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are close to the same size they will usually not remain a "mated pair" for long.

I have a mated pair of blk/wht saddlebacks that were really lovely with each other at first then the male got an eye infection and the female rejected him. He got over it and looks normal now, but the female still isn't as freindly to him as she used to be.
The females of this clown type tend to be pretty aggressive towards their partners compared to females of say false percs. I think my female will become more secure once I find a good anemone for them.

As for rariety. My supplier gets these clowns in all the time so they are pretty cheap. However, I've looked at all the major online aquarium stores and can't find anyone that carries them (don't know why).
So the price depending on demand can vary greatly. If you have a true "mated pair" then the price can go up exponentially. I've sold mated pairs of these clowns on auction for $55.00 all the way up to $200.00+.
It all depends on who wants them and how "rare" they are in that person's area. If you can't get yours to be mated, I would look into buying two smaller saddlebacks to try and create mates for your disenchanted lovers.

Whenever you are creating a mated pair it is best to start out with a "male" that is at least two times smaller than the female. But not so small that the female will pick on him. It takes a little time and you may have to switch out one fish for the other a few times, but usually in the end I can create a mated pair after a few tries. Females of all clowns will tend to fight with a mate that is too similar in size, has defects, or is too small (looks like a baby in comparison).

Hope this helps!

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the male could have fully changed to a female since you introduced them to a much larger territory. It might have gotten tired of the other ones yapping and decided to try being single. LOL

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back