Sad day... lost my first fish.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 6 weeks into quarantine and only 2 days left before moving my Diamond Goby into the DT and he jumps out of the freakin' tank last night! He was about 3.5 inches and still able to make it thru an egg-crate cover! Kids named him Thrasher...I think now Houdini would have been a more appropriate name!

20180308_080820.jpg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't feel bad, I also learned the same lesson !

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think many of us have lost fish due to jumping , very sad when that happens, sorry for your loss.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never have a tank without a screen top after losing a clown to jumping. My wrasse has landed on the floor at least 5 times even WITH a screen top, I swear she waits for me to move it for any reason. I've managed to get her back in every time....

I'm very sorry for your loss :(

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many have learned the lesson that egg crate is not a good cover to prevent fish jumping. Gobies and wrasse are among the most ingenious in getting through small places. :)

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many have learned the lesson that egg crate is not a good cover to prevent fish jumping. Gobies and wrasse are among the most ingenious in getting through small places. :)
I should have known...it was definitely preventable since I even had other screening on hand. But I chose his size specifically thinking he couldn't fit through those egg-crate hole sizes...I would love to see exactly how he was able to do it.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have known...it was definitely preventable since I even had other screening on hand. But I chose his size specifically thinking he couldn't fit through those egg-crate hole sizes...I would love to see exactly how he was able to do it.

Remember the Johnny Cochran quote? The reefing version is "if the head fits he must be carpet surfing" :p

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember the Johnny Cochran quote? The reefing version is "if the head fits he must be carpet surfing" :p

I blame it on Hollywood! If I didn't let him watch Finding Nemo so many times, he wouldn't have had an altered sense of reality. Man, it's just not real life when Nemo jumps from the tank into buckets and birds carry him from puddle to puddle! I guess he just wasn't evolved enough to think the whole jumping thing thoroughly through!

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blame it on Hollywood! If I didn't let him watch Finding Nemo so many times, he wouldn't have had an altered sense of reality. Man, it's just not real life when Nemo jumps from the tank into buckets and birds carry him from puddle to puddle! I guess he just wasn't evolved enough to think the whole jumping thing thoroughly through!

Hahaha, I literally lol'd

aquanicssd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I watch that movie with my kids, the more I point out is wrong with it... LOL

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a wheelers shrimp goby first night in the main tank - jumped right through the 1/4 inch netting!!! I couldn't believe it until i WATCHED his partner do it the next day!!! Luckily I caught his partner and got him back in! Now put glass top in until my 1/8" netting in to replace it!! I am sorry - that sucks! My 4 year old and I cried so hard when we lost the first one!

NikoO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diamond goby also jumped out through my screen. I think diamond goby are especially prone to jumping.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, this is unfortunately not uncommon in the slightest!

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. Some of these fish manage to find any hole big enough to squeeze through. It's crazy.

Back