Sad. Stretching. Zoas?!

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the intensity of your lighting schedule look like? I feel like my light is turned up pretty high for my 14G tank but some my Zoas are still reaching. Trying to come to terms with lighting. Heres what I'm running:

Edit: it's a single prime 16HD for reference.

1.7 Lighting.png
Definitely need to increase levels. These are too low.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another zoa I have on that same rock actually came back from the dead after I changed my lights to the 2 Primes. I know some zoos do ok in deeper waters. Any idea which ones those are lol
Darker zoas do better in less light. Black Ktar, exosphere, black Hornet, or any dark blue, dark purple, black, dark green zoa will like less light. I actually have my exospheres in complete shadow right now and they have never been happier!

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darker zoas do better in less light. Black Ktar, exosphere, black Hornet, or any dark blue, dark purple, black, dark green zoa will like less light. I actually have my exospheres in complete shadow right now and they have never been happier!
My acans, blastos, duncans, GSP, and mushrooms are loving life. Im having a hard time with the zoos tho. I bought another powerhead to increase flow as I've only had the one koralia since the start of the tank (a year). Maybe I'll just move it up, see how it does. I wanted to turn a rock near the top to be zoas...i have 2 more frags coming...Pineapple Express and Pink Hippos. Was gonna place those on a hugher rock anyway. Purple, pink, and blue would look nice.

I would say im a little OCD about the zoos tho. So, need to calm down about that for a while lol

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry dont mean to be a bug, if I raise my whites to like 10% would that help?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acans, blastos, duncans, GSP, and mushrooms are loving life. Im having a hard time with the zoos tho. I bought another powerhead to increase flow as I've only had the one koralia since the start of the tank (a year). Maybe I'll just move it up, see how it does. I wanted to turn a rock near the top to be zoas...i have 2 more frags coming...Pineapple Express and Pink Hippos. Was gonna place those on a hugher rock anyway. Purple, pink, and blue would look nice.

I would say im a little OCD about the zoos tho. So, need to calm down about that for a while lol
It’s hard to not freak out about zoas, I freak out about my zoas a lot. As long as the zoas are open, they’re fine :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back